A while back I posed the question if burning corn, or any other
food crop is immoral.

Check this out:

http://tinyurl.com/24gqmk

Here we see immediate results of corn crops being diverted to
make ethanol fuel and its effect on the ice cream business.  Now
obviously, no one is going to starve to death from lack of ice
cream.  But this same problem has arisen in China in a shortage
of pigs.  They actually have national pig reserve, similar to our
nattion petroleum reserve.  These are essentially the first two
symptoms of what could be a disastrous diversion of corn to make
ethanol for fuel, with third world populations suffering the most.

While no one questions the necessity of finding alternatives to
petroleum, I think it incumbent on thinking people to point out
that pursuing inefficient methods such as this are merely diverting
us from finding real solutions to the problem.

In this case, this whole enterprise is just a government subsidy to
Archer Daniels Midland and their cohorts.  They lobbied hard for
this in the congress.  This is just another feel-good useless program
to make it appear that someone is "doing something".

Personally, I feel that the so-called hydrogen economy is another
policy wonk's solution to a problem better solved by other methods.
I went to the L.A. Auto Show a few months ago, where BMW was displaying
its hydrogen powered vehicle.  Some fellow was touting this as the
next wonderful thing, explaining that only water vapor was coming out
of the exhaust.

Keep in mind, this guy was not just a car show barker; he was a BMW
engineer.  I asked him where he thought the hydrogen came from. Like
most people suffering under the same delusion, he informed me that
the hydrogen was made from water.  When I told him that virtually
all the commercial hydrogen on earth was reformed from natural gas and
that the other byproduct was the much vilified carbon dioxide, he
was rendered temporarily speechless.

My point is this.  If a person who is heavily involved in creating
the "hydrogen economy" doesn't know this, how can any intelligent
decisions be made about it?

M.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com