Two things confuse me about my idea that Ron's device is picking up RF
energy from the AM radio tower.

  1. It *must* resonate exactly to a harmonic of the AM station

To intercept large wattage as Ron is doing, the loopstick coil must
exhibit a very sharp resonance to create a large voltage.  And sharp
resonance has narrow bandwidth.  What are the chances that his coil's
natural frequency would land right on an upper harmonic of the AM station?
At the very least, I'd think that he'd need a big pile of loopstick coils,
and he would find that only one of them would happen to hit the right
frequency.  The others would only work if the number of windings was
tweaked.

  2. It would have to chop the AM carrier to create upper harmonics.

I doubt that the AM station is broadcasting powerful upper harmonics which
resonate with the loopstick coil.  However, it's very easy for the LEDs to
chop the AM signal and create a whole collection of higher frequencies.
Nonlinear devices near powerful transmitters create unwanted harmonics.
However, in order to do this, the LEDs have to already be lit, and system
already has to be oscillating at the upper frequencies!  So his
stand-alone device should not start up by itself.  To get started would
need to be "zapped" somehow, perhaps by touching it with a finger, or
shorting parts out with a screwdriver, etc.  After the first tiny pulse,
the LEDs would flash briefly, which would "twang" the resonant coil, which
would oscillate and goose things into operation.  And if it was
disconnected from ground, it would probably stay dark if reconnected, and
need another tiny "zap" to get itself going.

So an artifact of AM tower RF would probably have two features: only a
very special loopstick coil would work, and others would not.  And also
there would be some "hysterisis," where the device could be turned on and
off by touching the right parts with a screwdriver.

PS

Here's a very good test for artifactual AM energy pickup:  THE AM SIGNAL
IS MODULATED. If it's powering the LEDs, then their light would *have* to
be modulated with audio.  If they're not, then it's not the AM station
that's powering them.  So, if a small silicon photovoltaic sensor was
hooked to the input of an audio amplifier, with loudspeakers connected to
the output, and the sensor was held near the lit LEDs...  would we hear a
hum?  A buzz?  A chaotic fractal signal indicative of 1/F spectrum from
the Casmir underworld of electromagnetism?  Or would we hear an AM disk
jockey playing music tracks?

William J. Beaty                            SCIENCE HOBBYIST website
billb at amasci com                         http://amasci.com
EE/programmer/sci-exhibits   amateur science, hobby projects, sci fair
Seattle, WA  425-222-5066    unusual phenomena, tesla coils, weird sci