OrionWorks wrote:
Jed sez:

Georgia is suffering from the worst drought in recorded
history. Gov. Sonny Perdue of Georgia along with "various
religious and political leaders" prayed for rain this
afternoon at the state capital. A small number of atheists
and people who oppose mixing church and state protested.

Rain was predicted today, and it was cloudy earlier, but
the weather is beautiful & clear, despite the governor's
best efforts. For once this season I am happy to see clear
skies. Except that I fear people will blame the atheists!

- Jed

Last night my PC started acting up in an ominous way - taking forever
to reboot. I Dunno... Might be a prelude to a major hard drive crash.
Or gremlins.

Tonight I may sacrifice a chicken and sprinkle the blood over the tower.

Poor chicken!

If you've got personal data you care about on the machine, you might also consider getting a USB drive and copying it off, just in case. They are astonishingly easy to set up (remove from box, remove cable from the little plastic bag it comes in, figure out which end fits in the socket, turn drive on, *done*).

May not help much with rebuilding the system if it smokes the internal HD, but if you've got all your personal stuff backed up, at least all you'll lose will be time (and money, of course).

I've got a rather nice tape drive here, courtesy of the company I work for, and I never use it any more. I do all my backups to a couple of USB disks. They were no more expensive than a few more blank tapes would have been.

Hey! If it works!

Regards,
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.colm