It turns out knol is by invitation only, at present. I sent a message here, bucking for an invitation:

http://www.google.com/press/index.html

Message as follows:

My name is Jed Rothwell. I am the librarian here:

http://lenr-canr.org/

This site is a library o papers about cold fusion -- the physics, not the programming language.

Roughly 3,500 papers have been published, including about 1,000 in mainstream, peer-reviewed journals. I work with hundreds of professional scientists from many countries, including many distinguished scientists such as the retired head of the Atomic Energy Commission, Government of India. I have been editing cold fusion papers, and translating them from Japanese into English for 12 years.

I request that you allow members of this group, including me, to participate in your Knol project as soon as possible. Cold fusion is highly controversial and politicized. The Wikipeida article on cold fusion is constantly vandalized by academic rivals, and no self-respecting scientist will contribute to it, whereas I believe I can persuade some of the top cold fusion researchers to contribute to Knol.

Sincerely,

Jed Rothwell