Terry Blanton wrote:

I was recently asked by Dan Stanzione, the former president of Bell Labs, how much of all knowledge we humans possess.

This is a fascinating topic. I wrote a little about it in Chapter 19 of the book.

Broadly speaking, there are two categories of scientific knowledge: that would can, in principle, be completed, and that which cannot.

In the first category are things like the laws of chemistry as they apply to DNA. Years ago, during the fight over the Supercolider funding, a famous materials scientist and a biologist wrote a statement to the effect that "high energy physics will never tell us anything more about the chemistry of DNA." They recommended Supercolider funding be cut and their fields be funded instead. That does not say we have learned all that can be known about how DNA combines and reacts chemically, but it does say that the physics governing those chemical reactions are essentially complete, and the physicists -- coming from their direction of subatomic particles and so on -- are not likely to discover anything that the chemists and biologists need to know.

In the second category we have things such as how DNA and higher level biology works in specific species: E. Coli, cats, dogs, people and so on. Biologists have estimated that the set of facts and knowledge pertaining to E. coli alone would fill a library full of books. In other words, if the world's nations launched a mega-project to understand E. Coli, and spent trillions of dollars, eventually this would result in a few hundred thousand volumes of textbooks and databases. Perhaps in a few hundred years there would be only trivial aspects of E. Coli biology left unanswered. Of course much of this knowledge would be applicable to other species, but not all. Every species is unique, and you could easily write another library full of books about each one. And -- to get to the point -- there are millions of species on earth, and perhaps ~10E1000 or so on other planets. So, as a practical matter, the scientific knowledge that one might gather about biology is infinite in scope. If our species lasts until the sun goes out (~6 billion more years) we will not even begin to collect a significant fraction of all this knowledge.

(I have no doubt that over the next thousand years or so, we will determine every non-trivial detail about how one species works: homo sapiens. This megaproject is already underway.)

For this example, no doubt the process will be streamlined, automated and sped up. Even now, the genome for different species is being read faster and faster, as more species are added to databases accessible world-wide. But the genome is the starting point; not the ending point. It is analogous to the Periodic Table in the study of chemistry. After you get the Periodic Table squared away, you have a permanent, fairly certain, unchanging knowledge base to start building upon, and a proven methodology. But you have not learned all there is to know about chemistry!

Someday, perhaps thousands of years from now, a biologist on an alien planet may drop a sample of DNA into a gadget, and an hour later a comprehensive description of the species might emerge, including a list of unique and previously unknown aspects that deserve research. The thing is, an army of a billion biologists could keep doing this for the rest of history and still not make a dent in the total number of species out there.

Biology is particularly rich in detail, but other subjects such as material science also deal with so many different permutations and combinations of elements, compounds, surface conditions and other factors, for all practical purposes the data set is infinitely large.

But, my other point is that the basic mechanism of DNA, or the Periodic Table; Newton's laws; the way calorimeters work; and Conservation of Energy (probably); special relativity, and so on will probably never change. These things are perfected. I think there is no chance that Shanahan has discovered an error in calorimetry that everyone from J. P. Joule to McKubre overlooked.

We might find life-forms not based on DNA. That would be another matter.

The Periodic Table will never be replaced, but it might be supplanted or extended to cover isotopes, as the periodicity and structure of the atomic nucleus is elucidated. (Brightsen's idea, and model.) Again, that would be another matter.

Anyway, this is what I had in mind in Chapter 19, when I wrote:

Progress may not continue infinitely, but as Jefferson said it will continue "indefinitely, and to a term which no one can fix and foresee." We are nowhere near the limits yet. Were the empire of the unknown as large as North America, we have established a few settlements on the coast; we have some notion how large the continent may be, and we are still debating whether California is an island or a peninsula. There are 3,000 miles of unexplored wilderness to the west. Even this analogy is an understatement. The unknown and unexplored facets of nature will never decrease in number. Each new answer reveals dozens or scores of new mysteries. We will, someday, run out of gumption and stop seeking answers, but we can never run out of questions.

Anyway, the learning process has just begun, and I am sure there will be work enough to keep researchers busy for eons to come. After 6 billion years I doubt it will be problem anymore. Assuming there is no cosmic crunch, Arthur C. Clarke described the next phase in the expansion of knowledge. Clarke, Olaf Stapledon and I like to look at the Big Picture. In the last paragraphs of his immortal work, "Profiles of the Future," Clarke wrote:

Our Galaxy is now in the brief springtime of its life -- a springtime made glorious by such brilliant blue-white stars as Vega and Sirius, and, on a more humble scale, our own Sun. Not until all these have flamed through their incandescent youth, in a few fleeting billions of years, will the real history of the universe begin.

It will be a history illuminated only by the reds and infrareds of dully glowing stars that would be almost invisible to our eyes; yet the somber hues of that all-but-eternal universe may be full of color and beauty to whatever strange beings have adapted to it. They will know that before them lie, not the millions of years in which we measure the eras of geology, nor the billions of years which span the past lives of the stars, but years to be counted literally in trillions.

They will have time enough, in those endless aeons, to attempt all things, and to gather all knowledge. They will not be like gods, because no gods imagined by our minds have ever possessed the powers they will command. But for all that, they may envy us, basking in the bright afterglow of Creation; for we knew the universe when it was young.