Some minor corrections and clarifications follow.

Within the context of the mortgage industry debacle precipitated financial crisis it appears there is something even more sinister making for the crazy markets:

http://tinyurl.com/3czmpr

Actual URL for above:

http://www.forbes.com/home/opinions/2008/02/06/croesus-chronicles- darkpools-oped-cz_rl_0207croesus.html

The quants and their systems may be unintentionally setting up the world markets and financial systems for a crash. Automated arbitrage systems appear work fine until an underlying market fundamental changes, like sudden changes in the the value of real estate or some set of commodities.

The problem with modern portfolio theory is its fundamental assumption, that the market activity is actually based on stochastic processes. It is assumed that all fundamentals are known by all the participants and very quickly "priced into the market". All that is left is due to random fluctuations. I think a large part of the variance in the random distributions is not random at all, but rather merely due to variables and functions not understood, but which test well for being random distributions. An example of this might be the effects of a feedback loop between publications (reporters) and politicians, and further, the changes in cycle time, amount, quality, distribution, and uncontrolled distribution of information brought about by the internet.

Of greater concern is the fact market transactions are increasingly instant computer trades rather than trades by open and manual bidding systems. This vastly increases the "velocity of money" within the market place in times of a crises, and the velocity is further increased when the buyers and sellers are mostly computers too. We are moving toward the point where the ultimate crash could take place in seconds.

The velocity of money V is the average frequency with which a unit of money is spent, the dollar turnover rate, the frequency of dollar spending per unit of time. For a discussion of the velocity of money see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantity_theory_of_money

and also see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Velocity_of_money

There you'll see Milton Friedman's famous equation:

   M*V = P*Q

   V = P*Q/M

where M is the money in circulation, and P*Q is the gross domestic product, the sum of the values of all transactions in a given period of time. The value of a transaction is the unit price time quantity for the transaction. This is expressed in the equation of exchange:

   M*V = Sum[i=1,n] p_i*q_i

In a computer generated crash, a huge amount of the world's capital can cycle around between multiple investors instantly, i.e the velocity V -> inf. Let F represent the values of all non stock market transactions:

   F = Sum[i=1,x] p_i*q_i

and G represent the sum of the values of all stock market transactions:

   G = Sum[i=x+1,n] p_i*q_i

This means

  V = (F+G)/M

and if F remains fixed, yet the market transaction values for some period go toward infinity, then we have as:

  as G -> inf, V -> (F+G)/M = (F+inf)/M = inf/M = inf

This means

  V = P*Q/M -> inf

if

   G -> inf

i.e. the velocity of money goes to infinity if the velocity of money in any subset of the economy goes to infinity. Since the quantity of goods Q would remain fixed in the final seconds of collapse, it rigorously must be that, since P*Q/M -> inf, either (or both):

   P -> inf,   or  M -> 0

and neither case is good. Such a collapse can, however, be triggered by a sudden reduction in Q, through the collapse of derivatives, e.g. futures contracts, which are in effect commodities manufactured from nothing, yet which require real money to buy. If I have this right (and I am definitely not an economist!) in the end either price goes toward infinity, or money supply goes toward zero, or both. Since we are in a global economy, this appears to apply to the global money supply.

It is now of concern that, unlike the way things unfolded in 1929-1932, a total market collapse, as well as the bankruptcy of many brokerages, arbitrage houses, and banks, could be almost completely over before even a hint of it ever hits anyone's screens. The only effective means of insurance is to be pre-positioned at all times.

The standard means of providing pre-positioned insurance is to keep a percentage of assets in personally held gold or other commodities not held as securities for debt. However, as economic crisis looms as an obvious possibility, gold, silver, mining stocks, etc, and their downside risks, become unaffordable.

I think I have found a reasonable method of achieving some degree of pre-positioning at this late date, at least for US citizens. That is to buy I-bonds and/or TIPS. The US treasury has recently limited the purchase of I-bonds to $5,000 per person per year for actual bonds (down from $30,000) and another $5,000 per person if held in your personal TreasuryDirect account. See:

http://www.treasurydirect.gov/

Treasury inflation protected securities (TIPS) can also be purchased through TreasuryDirect periodically, or purchased in the marketplace at any time through a brokerage and then transferred to your personal treasury account. There is a $5M individual limit on TIPS. Many brokerages are not safe repositories for securities in the event of a complete meltdown because they have large market exposures, and if nearly all brokerages fail then brokerage insurance is worthless. If inflation runs rampant then FDIC insurance is comparatively worthless as well. If a brokerage is used for holding pre-positioning insurance securities, like actual TIPS, or even instruments of lesser security, like TIP, GLD, or GDX ETFs, mining stock, etc, then it should be a brokerage that does not have any market exposure itself. (Edward Jones is an example of such a brokerage as far as I know.) AFAIK, TreasuryDirect can not be used for IRAs, so a brokerage is necessary if IRA funds are to be placed into TIPS for protection. If I-bonds or TIPS are held to maturity, unlike typical bond funds, or even the TIP ETF, no principle can be lost, and they probably gain a lot of interest. I-bonds can be held beyond maturity and still earn interest which is tax sheltered until redemption. Their current interest rate is 4.29 percent. TIPS have fixed redemption periods, and inflation and interest gains are taxable annually. If inflation runs rampant, the returns for either instrument can be substantial. Most of all, having some money tucked away for a rainy day can provide some peace of mind in troubled times.

I hope this personal opinion, though from a source with highly dubious qualifications, may be of use to someone. At least hopefully economics, though known as the dismal science, is at least closer to on topic here than religion.

Horace