--- Lawrence de Bivort  wrote:

> My sense is that everyone does the best they can -
all the time. It is perhaps the greatest tragedy of
mankind that we can see better ways of doing things...

One the contrary, Lawrence, I strongly believe that
this is absolutely wrong... so wrong that it is "not
even wrong" !

...even through in fairness, let me say for the record
that I have truncated Lawrence's complete sentence
from his posting, in order to make a point that the
shorter sentiment which posted above (which is not
exactly what he meant) is perilously misguided, and
terribly counter-productive to the USA in the long
run.

One wonders if the those dedicated manufacturing
engineers at GM were "doing the best they can" when
they killed the EV-1 ? ... or when they went out of
their way to proclaim- when Toyota introduced the
Prius, that Detroit would never make that kind of
foolish mistake. Over and over, Lutz and Company (also
Ford) tried to denigrate Toyota's visionary effort as
little more than a "money losing gimmick"

Don't get me wrong - it takes lots of manufacturing
engineers to make things work well and at the lowest
cost, but those engineers are often in that particular
job position because they are willing to forego the
cutting edge, or lack creativity, but are adapted best
to focus on the mundane, and the tried-and-true.

In reality - if you want to grow a company to its
maximum potential, especially in a competitive
industry, it takes both "camps" - the manufacturing
engineer and the visionary creative types, and in
equal measure, to succeed.

Toyota has that. Ford and GM, in contrast, are
companies which are dominated by manufacturing
engineers who are "Peter-Principled" into the required
creative or visionary slots, and in which they cannot
serve well.

The results take are now becoming evident. Toyota is
reaping the benefits of its balanced vision,
risk-taking and creativity. And its best factories, by
its own admission (interms of quality) are in the USA.

Therefore, it is my contention that it is not our
(USA) workers who are slacking, or our unions, but it
is our short-sighted upper level management, dominated
by too many accountants, MBAs and "manufacturing
engineers" and too few creative visionaries, who are
to blame.

GM and Ford are sinking fast, and will be lucky to
survive the next decade, if they cannot rectify this
upper level management problem fast enough.

Jones