--- William Beaty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I wonder if the "structure" is easy to detect.  For example, if you shine
> a red laser through ultra-pure water, you can see the beam, since it's
> scattered by nano-crystallites which are part of water's short-range
> structure.  Polarizing the water might alter the visible pattern?

Yes, you can see a difference in the scatter when water or other polar solvent
is subjected to a strong electric field. This is more easily visible with green
and blue laser wavelengths. As I recall, the beam looks darker when viewed
parallel to the e-vector. The effect is strongest when the e-vector of the the
polarized laser is parallel to that of the applied electric field. I've haven't
noticed as yet if there is a residual effect when the e-field is removed.

This is one of those things you notice when you are working with something, but
really don't know if it's well-known or of any interest to anyone else.

You have to wonder if water is blue because of preferetial scatter of longer
wavelengths.  There doesn't seem to be a chromophore-like reason for this
phenomenon.

M.

Access, No Cost.