Jed Rothwell wrote:

thomas malloy wrote:

I saw a quote attributed to a man who was the head of the USPTO saying that every thing that was to be invented had been invented. I realize that this is not the same as saying that the USPTO should be closed, however it is the proverbial grain of truth.

This comment is attributed to P.O. commissioner Charles Duell. However, he was knowledgeable and he did an excellent job, and all of his remaining published statements on the subject take the opposite view. See:

http://www.myoutbox.net/posass.htm

He couldn't have said this and meant it. I have heard two versions of the story:

1. He prefaced the statement with something like: "Surely nobody believes that everything . . ."

2. This is a completely unfounded myth. Someone who sounds like he knows what he is talking about recently told me that. See comment #95, here:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/did-bill-gates-really-say-that/

Frankly, I cannot imagine that anyone at the P.O. would ever believe that we have reached the "end of science"!

That would be rather self defeating wouldn't it.

The editors at Sci. Am. believe that, but they are extraordinarily stupid people. You wonder how they ever got where they are. I suppose "Parkinson's Law" explains it.

Either that or they have an agenda.

Actually, come to think of it, while equally stupid people might end up in the P.O., I doubt they would think this is the end of science. Extreme stupidity that inhibits the central task of the institution is rare.

Yah, what about Baldwin Locomotive? Then there is GMC, which has, AFAIK still not produced a hybrid vehicle.

The central task of Sci. Am. is to sell magazines and make Sci. Am. look authoritative. Attacking cold fusion and declaring that this is the end of science helps sell magazines.

Why?

In that sense, these people are not stupid. They are irresponsible, immoral, and ultimately self-defeating I hope, but in the near term they do know how to sell magazines.

OTOH, this is the same organization which declared heavier than air flying machines impractical in 1907 (?)

Anyway, I know for a fact that Horgan and the other editors are certified blockheads, even if they know how to sell magazines.

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! --
http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---