Hi Robin, many thanks for your corrections.

Indeed momentum p is the denominator of the De Broglie wavelength h/p, my
mistake. So in fact the more immobile the target deuteron, the less close the
incident deuteron needs to get in order to fuse...

1/ Wouldn't it therefore dramatically improve things if we threw (by
electrolysis, gas discharge or whatever) the incident deuterons onto a
deep-cooled deuteron desorbing cathode? (liquid deuterium in a back side
chamber could provide the deuterium, the low temp and the pushing pressure
maybe)

2/ Another thought triggered by your correction, forced cooling or not, isn't a
deuteron about to desorb (for Jones's entertainment: stuck half way through the
surface Pd "sphincter") particularly immobile due to its squeezed condition,
and therefore an easier fusion target?

3/ I have found this 2002 paper "Study on Physical Foundation of Cold Fusion" :
http://www.swip.ac.cn/cfs/english/Information/nb2002/024.2.pdf
The English is very poor but the physics seem quite understandable, even to
this QM ignoramus. I find the "volcano section view" shaped potential curve
quite helpful: positive hill shape is Coulomb repulsion potential (hill is
lowered and narrowed by any screening negative charge density I guess), narrow
central pit going down to very negative values is nuclear force attraction
potential.
   Summary of my understanding of this paper: in order to fuse i.e. fall into
the pit an incident deuteron doesn't have to classically go all the way up the
hill, instead it can tunnel through it if it gets closer than the target's De
Broglie wavelength. It seems the incident deuteron can be treated as a
classical point charge loosing KE and gaining PE to find how high on the hill
--and therefore how close to the target deuteron-- it gets.
   Your comments on the paper or my summary welcome.

4/ Do you have a ref for your factor 10 to 20 (0.035 to 0.07 Å instead of D2's
0.7 Å separation) required for practical D-D fusion power production?

Cheers,
Michel