Howdy Jeff,
Same here in Texas. Before 1870 range prairie grass fires could sweep across whole counties that acted to prevent forests from gaining a foot hold. Interesting arguments for and against "greenhouse" effect. Al Gore and Rush Limburger cheese et al should both be proud of their ability to keep the CO2 gas balloon in the air for so long before it becomes obvious that a parallel exists.. similar to two divorce lawyers. There is money in keeping the bickering going. Meanwhile back at the ranch the whole place winds up broke and knee deep in cockle burrs and Bushes. At some point the problem becomes insoluable.. unless.. well.. err.. some kid playing with matches...
Richard

Jeff wrote,
I came across a study a few years ago that showed that the US presently has
more forested land than it did in the year 1900.  My personal observation
verifies that.  The fields around the house I grew up in, and the house I
have live in now (33 yrs.) have all grown over with forest. Historical
photos of the Berks county Pennsylvania area of 1900 vintage show surprising
areas of cultivation that are now forest.