...or Petrol, depending on from where you come.

$3.87/U.S. Gallon here in western NY.
Crazy, considering that when I moved here six years ago it was about $1.50.
Yay-big increase.

Now, as I was in a somewhat contemplative mood earlier, I decided to sit back
and see how this really affected me. We'll ignore whether or not I agree with
why the prices are going up, and so on. Let us look at the matter purely
objectively. Your mileage may vary of course (HA!) but this is my personal
experience.

It really ain't done much to me.
Why?
I noticed that, perhaps subconsciously, I was planning trips differently. I
still go to the same amount of places per week, I still get the same things
done that need to get done, and so on. But I plan them to be on one trip, and
in a single loop.
I.e., a typical Saturday morning:
Go to bank, get money.
Go to hardware store, get stuff for home and/or experiments.
Go to Radio Shi--- er...Shack. Get (what few they still carry) components.
And so on. All in a logically drawn out loop.

The end result is, I still pay about the same amount for gasoline, I have more
time to do what I need to get done...transit time does add up. And an added
benefit: less wear and tear on that car.

I'll also grudgingly admit that it produces less CO2 to do this. I guess I'll
be good if I /have/ to.

I am also getting damned tired of people going to the gas station, and getting
in line ahead of me and bitching about the price per gallon...
...and then getting $20-40 worth of lotto tickets. Can we say, hippochrissy?
(Yes, I spelled that wrong on purpose. I have to do something to maintain my
reputation as an evil bastard, yeah?)

--Kyle

Be a better friend, newshound, and