I hadn't heard of this one until I stumbled across it while looking for something else in Google. It's a high end niche car but none the less I thought it was interesting.

Wheel motors, used on all electric locomotives, have, as far as I know, never been used on a car (in recent memory, at least). Apparently the reason is weight at the wheels. The Lightning, which isn't /quite/ on the market yet, is supposed to use a new design of wheel motor with far better power/weight ratio than previous engines. Of course it has electric 4wd as a result, and along with nano titanate batteries from Altair Nano, it achieves amazing performance and astonishing range and breathtakingly short recharge times and all that good stuff electric sportscar manufacturers like to talk about, for a price of less than 200,000 pounds Sterling.

Here's a story on it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/main.jhtml?xml=/motoring/2007/09/01/nosplit/mflight01.xml

http://tinyurl.com/2vun4k