Since I'm likely the only Vort who has actually made a limelight, allow me to
make a few observations. First, limelight isn't lime colored or even slightly
greenish, a common misconception on account of the name I guess. It has a very
aggreable color compared to the blue-white of the carbon arc, however. It
doesn't take much imagination to think that commercial suppliers might have
added a few secret ingredients to their lime cylinders to give their light a
more pleasing color.

Looking at the limelight with a spectroscope, even a simple one, reveals what
must be the major source of the emitted light besides incandescence.
Candoluminescence is ill-defined and seems to be mostly an archaic word for
fluorescence. But easily seen in a spectroscope are the characteristic bright
narrow band spectra of ionized calcium overlayed on the continuous incandescent
spectrum.

Town gas, a mixture of hydrogen and carbon monoxide, would probably not work as
the CO would tend temporarily to form calcium carbonate thereby poisoning the
cycle I think occurs in the limelight. My guess is that under the relatively
high temperature of the oxy-hydrogen torch the calcium is ionized after having
been reduced to elemental calcium by the hydrogen. The combustion finally
re-oxides the calcium and returns it to the lime surface.

I did this a very long time ago in my father's instrument repair shop where he
had welding equipment including both oxy-acetylene and oxy-hydrogen torches.
You can direct the torch at a pile of lime of the type available at hardware
stores, but it's hard to do this without melting whatever you put the lime on.
I imagine the cylinders of lime were made for the purpose by compression.  My
cylinder was a piece of chalk which starts out as calcium carbonate, but
quickly becomes calcium oxide under the intense heat. In this form it's easily
broken apart, but it holds it's shape well enough for this purpose.

Although it is plenty hot enough, the oxy-acetylene torch doesn't work nearly
as well as the hydrogen torch.  With a welder's mask you can see that there is
actually a darker area where the acetylene torch flame first touches the lime.
With the hydrogen torch there is a brighter spot where the torch flame contacts
the lime, and the overall brilliance is much greater.  How this might relate to
possible O/U or supra-chemical reactions I have no idea, but you might find it
interesting.

M.