Horace Heffner wrote on 7-9-08:

Good news that oil folks are getting on the band wagon ...

----------------

http://www.pickensplan.com/theplan/

``The T. Boone Pickens Plan

America is addicted to foreign oil.

It's an addiction that threatens our economy, our
environment and our national security. It touches every
part of our daily lives and ties our hands as a nation
and a people.

The addiction has worsened for decades and now it's reached
a point of crisis.

In 1970, we imported 24% of our oil.  Today it's nearly 70%
and growing.

As imports grow and world prices rise, the amount of
money we send to foreign nations every year is soaring. At
current oil prices, we will send $700 billion dollars out
of the country this year alone - that's four times the
annual cost of the Iraq war.

Projected over the next 10 years the cost will be $10
trillion; it will be the greatest transfer of wealth in
the history of mankind.

America uses a lot of oil. Every day 85 million barrels
of oil are produced around the world. And 21 million of
those are used here in the United States.

That's 25% of the world's oil demand. Used by just 4%
of the world's population ...

What's the good news?

The United States is the Saudi Arabia of wind power.

Studies from around the world show that the Great Plains
states are home to the greatest wind energy potential in
the world by far.

The Department of Energy reports that 20% of America's
electricity can come from wind. North Dakota alone has
the potential to provide power for more than a quarter of
the country.

Today's wind turbines stand up to 410 feet tall, with
blades that stretch 148 feet in length. The blades collect
the wind's kinetic energy. In one year, a 3-megawatt
wind turbine produces as much energy as 12,000 barrels of
imported oil.

Wind power currently accounts for 48 billion kWh of
electricity a year in the United States — enough to
serve more than 4.5 million households. That is still only
about 1% of current demand, but the potential of wind is
much greater.

A 2005 Stanford University study found that there is enough
wind power worldwide to satisfy global demand 7 times over
— even if only 20% of wind power could be captured.

Building wind facilities in the corridor that stretches
from the Texas panhandle to North Dakota could produce 20%
of the electricity for the United States at a cost of $1
trillion. It would take another $200 billion to build the
capacity to transmit that energy to cities and towns.

That's a lot of money, but it's a one-time cost. And
compared to the $700 billion we spend on foreign oil every
year, it's a bargain.

An economic revival for rural America.

Developing wind power is an investment in rural America.

To witness the economic promise of wind energy, look no
further than Sweetwater, Texas.

Sweetwater was typical of many small towns in
middle-America. With a shortage of good jobs, the
youth of Sweetwater were leaving in search of greater
opportunities. And the town's population dropped from
12,000 to under 10,000.

When a large wind power facility was built outside of town,
Sweetwater experienced a revival. New economic opportunity
brought the town back to life and the population has grown
back up to 12,000.

In the Texas panhandle, just north of Sweetwater, is
the town of Pampa, where T. Boone Pickens' Mesa Power is
currently building the largest wind farm in the world.

At 4,000 megawatts -- the equivalent combined output
of four large coal-fire plants -- the production of the
completed Pampa facility will double the wind energy output
of the United States.

In addition to creating new construction and maintenance
jobs, thousands of Americans will be employed to
manufacture the turbines and blades. These are high skill
jobs that pay on a scale comparable to aerospace jobs.

Plus, wind turbines don't interfere with farming and
grazing, so they don't threaten food production or existing
local economies.

A cheap new replacement for foreign oil.

The Honda Civic GX Natural Gas Vehicle is the cleanest
internal-combustion vehicle in the world according to
the EPA.

Natural gas and bio-fuels are the only domestic energy
sources used for transportation.

Natural gas is the cleanest transportation fuel available
today.

According to the California Energy Commission, critical
greenhouse gas emissions from natural gas are 23% lower
than diesel and 30% lower than gasoline.

Natural gas vehicles (NGV) are already available and
combine top performance with low emissions. The natural
gas Honda Civic GX is rated as the cleanest production
vehicle in the world.

According to NGVAmerica, there are more than 7 million
NGVs in use worldwide, but only 150,000 of those are in
the United States.

The EPA estimates that vehicles on the road account for
60% of carbon monoxide pollution and around one-third of
hydrocarbon and nitrogen oxide emissions in the United
States. As federal and state emissions laws become more
stringent, many requirements will be unattainable with
conventionally fueled vehicles.

Since natural gas is significantly cleaner than petroleum,
NGVs are increasing in popularity. The Ports of Los Angeles
and Long Beach recently announced that 16,800 old diesel
trucks will be replaced, and half of the new vehicles will
run on alternatives such as natural gas.

Natural gas is significantly less expensive than gasoline
or diesel. In places like Utah and Oklahoma, prices are
less than $1 a gallon. To see fueling stations and costs
in your area, check out cngprices.com.

Natural gas is our country's second largest energy
resource and a vital component of our energy supply. 98%
of the natural gas used in the United States is from
North America. But 70% of our oil is purchased from
foreign nations.

Natural gas is one of the cleanest, safest and most useful
forms of energy — residentially, commercially and
industrially. The natural gas industry has existed in the
United States for over 100 years and continues to grow.

Domestic natural gas reserves are twice that of
petroleum. And new discoveries of natural gas and ongoing
development of renewable biogas are continually adding to
existing reserves.

While it is a cheap, effective and versatile fuel,
less than 1% of natural gas is currently used for
transportation.

The Mechanics

We currently use natural gas to produce 22% of our
electricity.  Harnessing the power of wind to generate
electricity will give us the flexibility to shift natural
gas away from electricity generation and put it to use as
a transportation fuel — reducing our dependence on
foreign oil by more than one-third.

How do we get it done?

The Pickens Plan is a bridge to the future -- a blueprint
to reduce foreign oil dependence by harnessing domestic
energy alternatives, and buy us time to develop even
greater new technologies.

Building new wind generation facilities and better
utilizing our natural gas resources can replace more than
one-third of our foreign oil imports in 10 years. But it
will take leadership ...''

-----------------

Hi All,

Despite its obvious (at least to me) insanity, the
proposal to drill oil wells in ANWR and off the coasts
of California and Florida seems to be riding high on a
tsunami of gullibility.

I think the moral of the Appointmnet in Samarra is not
that one cannot escape Death, but that we can choose
where to die.  And thus it is important where we fight
the Kondratieff Peak War of 2020 -- will we send young
Americans to Central Asia to die for oil in the Kazakh
War of 2020?  Continuing to use petroleum is probably the
most serious threat ever to American national security.
So Hooray for T. Boone Pickens.

If the Straits of Hormuz are closed, rock oil could be
$300/barrell by Christmas 2008.  Otherwise it is likely
that oil will be $40/barrell by the end of the year --
just like the Tulip Bubble, the bursting of the Oil Bubble
will be spectacular.  But then what happens to Alternative
Energy?, the 1970's all over again?  Are we condemmed to
an insane lemming march through history?

Jack Smith

-------------------

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/environment/july-dec08/energytech_07-07.html

TRANSCRIPT from The News Hour, 7-7-08

``High Oil Costs May Advance Conservation Research

Car owners have been wincing in recent months as the
price of oil has shot up well over the once-unimaginable
$100-per-barrel mark. But an economist at Carnegie Mellon
University believes that skyrocketing oil prices are a
good thing, and will lead to necessary innovations in
conservation and green technologies.

PAUL SOLMAN, NewsHour economics correspondent: Late 2004,
at conservation conscious Carnegie Mellon University
[CMU], where they looked at the giddy-high oil price of
$40 a barrel as a positive.

DEBORAH LANGE, engineer: ... because that's the catalyst
that you need for us to put more investment into
environmentally friendly solutions.

PAUL SOLMAN: At CMU, they were already fielding a fleet of
electric and natural gas vehicles, campus power provided by
windmills, [and a] green roof on a classroom building ...

LESTER LAVE: When we talked three years ago, people thought
they could go about their lives the way it is. When oil
hits $115 a barrel and natural gas is going up very fast,
then everybody understands that we're going to need to
do something.

Cost of living, fueled by oil

PAUL SOLMAN: "Something," like conservation, now the
norm in other countries. At today's price of a barrel,
even higher than the $115 of just a few weeks ago, it's
a bonanza elsewhere in the world.

LESTER LAVE: Denmark has half the energy consumption per
capita and per dollar of GDP that we do. But if you've been
to Copenhagen, you see that the Danes live pretty well.

And so, if we were to adopt the efficiencies of Northern
Europe and the lifestyles of Northern Europe, we could
cut our energy use in half.  So think about that: We could
cut our energy use in half. That's our greenhouse gases;
that's our oil imports; that's our use of coal. And it
seems to me that's a worthy goal to strive for.

PAUL SOLMAN: Back in 2004, we also visited architect Volker
Hartkopf and his energy-saving Intelligent Workplace,
a penthouse addition to an existing campus building.

VOLKER HARTKOPF, architect: We have a very efficient
building, you see.

PAUL SOLMAN: Hartkopf had been cobbling together
off-the-shelf technology, like glass shelves outside and
W-shaped blinds inside, to conserve both light and heat.

VOLKER HARTKOPF: This is a dynamic facade which now allows
me in the summertime to reduce my heat gain and gives
me good day-lighting control during the swing periods,
as well as, of course, in the wintertime.

PAUL SOLMAN: Look, he pointed out, two-thirds of all
our energy goes to light and ventilate buildings. Worse
still, 95 percent of the energy in the original fuel is
lost along the way: burning it, transmitting it, using
it inefficiently.

Hartkopf's goal back then was the building as power
plant, a structure that actually produces more energy
that it consumes. We left him, something of a Don Quixote
on wheels.

Today, he may still look quixotic, but he sounds as
down-to-earth as, well, Sancho Panza with a German accent.

VOLKER HARTKOPF: You know, we have very simple
rules. First, you conserve. You don't run a half-loaded
dishwasher, for instance, or you don't let your heat get
out of the wall, if you can insulate it, right?

Second, you then add to that a passive system that gives
you more sunlight when you need it and less sunlight
when you don't want it because of overheating, shading,
light redirection, simple things we talked about last
time, right?

Building as power plant

PAUL SOLMAN: Right. And now it's worth three times as much
to us to listen.

And not just us. The U.N. has since made Hartkopf the
first chairman of its new think-tank on sustainable
building. He's put up government buildings in China. Al
Gore has come calling. And today, Hartkopf is more excited
than ever about a new solar experiment, a parabolic mirror
solar reflector that focuses sunlight to heat liquid
running inside a glass pipe.

VOLKER HARTKOPF: Inside the glass is a vacuum, and inside
the vacuum is another pipe, which is highly absorbent. And
through that highly absorbent pipe runs liquid. That liquid
gets heated up to 180 degrees centigrade.

PAUL SOLMAN: By? Because the sun...

VOLKER HARTKOPF: By the sunlight.

PAUL SOLMAN: ... is bouncing off this parabolic mirror.

VOLKER HARTKOPF: Right, and focuses on this pipe.

PAUL SOLMAN: Something called an absorption chiller then
converts the hot liquid into cold air for air conditioning,
most needed when the sun is strongest.

So there's a mechanical...

VOLKER HARTKOPF: Chemical, mechanical process.

PAUL SOLMAN: OK.

VOLKER HARTKOPF: Simple. And it has another major benefit.
It actually does not pollute the environment, because there
is no refrigerant that is dangerous that could be released
by the equipment and do an ozone depletion or some other
environmental damage.

PAUL SOLMAN: Nothing wasted, energy gained. In fact,
because of technology like this, the Intelligent Workplace
consumes only one-tenth the energy it did just two years
ago. As energy generation moves from fossil fuels to
alternatives, the efficiencies will be even greater.

VOLKER HARTKOPF: And now you begin to export energy from
your building, so every building becomes a power plant.

Innovation, child of high oil price

PAUL SOLMAN: No pipe dream, Hartkopf insists, as long as
the price of fossil fuels stays up. Right now, OPEC --
and especially Saudi Arabia -- are playing along.

But what if the price begins to droop? What if speculators
then sour on oil as quickly as they became sweet on
it? What if the price drops by two-thirds, as it did after
it last peaked and conservation was last big news in the
1970s? ...

PAUL SOLMAN: Will promising projects peter out, as so many
did back then?

LESTER LAVE: If you go back, the price of oil was down
to $10 a barrel in 1998, so less than 10 years ago it was
that low. So the price of oil has been cycling up and down.

PAUL SOLMAN: A low price would, of course, be good news
for motorists, truckers, those who heat their homes with
oil. But Lave thinks even a small price drop, like the gas
tax holiday now being proposed in Washington and around
the country, would send a dangerous signal.

LESTER LAVE: We ought to use more gasoline. We ought to
import more oil. We ought to send more dollars to the
Middle East. I think that's crazy.

PAUL SOLMAN: Lave is among the growing number of economists
calling for a floor to the price of oil, beneath which it
could not fall.

And how would it work?

LESTER LAVE: Well, one of the things that you could do
is you could just have a tax on imported oil, so that,
whenever imported oil fell below a level, then this tax
would kick in, so that, for example, if the oil ever did
fall to $10 a barrel, then you could have a tax which
would bring it up to, say, $50 a barrel.

A price floor could protect change

PAUL SOLMAN: This idea has been around since the '70s. We
heard it not long ago from biofuels venture capitalist
Vinod Khosla, inspired in part by an ominous encounter he
had at an energy conference years back.

VINOD KHOSLA, co-founder, Sun Microsystems: I was recently
at a conference where one of the senior executives of a
major national oil company from Saudi Arabia, Aramco,
came up to me and said, "Be careful." It was almost a
warning. He said, "Be careful, because if biofuels are
successful, we will drop the price of oil."

PAUL SOLMAN: At the time we interviewed Khosla -- March
2006 -- oil was approaching $70 a barrel. He proposed a tax
to kick in if oil fell below $40. Today those numbers seem
ridiculously cheap, a price floor even at $70 politically
feasible as never before.

LESTER LAVE: The problem is that everybody has agreed that
we should be doing things. But as long as energy is cheap,
we don't do them. And so we have to have the stimulus of
a high price to do it ...''

-----------------

http://www.thecuttingedgenews.com/index.php?article=616

ARTICLE from Cutting Edge, 7-7-08, by Gal Luft

``Kicking Our Oil Addiction

If Iran and Brazil Can Do It, So Can We

When the founding fathers declared our independence,
they could not have imagined that, 232 years later,
the United States would be so spectacularly dependent on
foreign countries. It would be roughly eight more decades
before oil gushed from a well in Titusville, Pennsylvania,
marking the beginning of the global oil economy; it took
eight decades more for the United States to become a net
oil importer.  But the republic's disastrous dependence on
foreign oil has increased by leaps and bounds ever since.

In 1973, when OPEC imposed its oil embargo, U.S. oil
imports composed 30 percent of our needs; today, they
make up more than 60 percent, with a growing proportion
of that crude coming from the world's least stable
regions. At around $145 a barrel, the United States, by
my calculations, will spend more on imported oil this year
than it will spend on its own defense budget, and much of
that money will flow into the coffers of those who wish
us ill.

Since oil dependence is so unappealing, you'd think that
energy independence would be an easy sell, especially on
this Fourth of July weekend. But in fact, very few policy
ideas have been so ridiculed. A 2007 report by the National
Petroleum Council, a privately funded group that offers
advice from the oil and gas industries to the federal
government, calls energy independence "unrealistic"; a
recent book, "Gusher of Lies," by Robert Bryce, a former
fellow at a think tank funded in part by energy interests,
described energy independence as a "dangerous delusion" ...

Is energy independence a pipe dream? Hardly. In the
electricity sector, the mission has already been
accomplished. Remember President Jimmy Carter in his
cardigan during the oil crises of the 1970s, urging
Americans to save electricity? It took us just one decade
to wean the electricity sector from oil. Today, only 2
percent of U.S. electricity comes from oil, according
to the Energy Department. Could we do something similar
with transportation, where American cars and trucks
still gulp oil-based fuel greedily? At least four very
different countries -- dictatorships and democracies alike --
are already making serious headway toward that goal. It's
past time to pay attention to their example.

The first country, surprisingly enough, is Iran. The
Islamic republic has lots of crude but little capacity to
refine it, leaving Tehran heavily dependent on gasoline
imports. The country's blustery president, Mahmoud
Ahmadinejad, is fully aware that this is Iran's Achilles'
heel and worries that a comprehensive gasoline embargo
could cause enough social unrest to undermine his regime.

So Ahmadinejad has launched an energy-independence program
designed to shift Iran's transportation system from
gasoline to natural gas, which Iran has plenty of. "If we
can change our automobiles' fuel from gasoline to [natural]
gas during the next three-four years," he said last July,
"we won't need gasoline anymore." His plan includes a
mandate for domestic automakers to make "dual-fuel" cars
that can run on both gasoline and natural gas, a crash
program to convert used vehicles to run on natural gas and
a program to convert Iranian gas stations to serve both
kinds of fuel. According to the International Association
of Natural Gas Vehicles, more than 100 conversion centers
have been built throughout the country: Iranians can drive
in with their gasoline-only cars, pay a subsidized fee
equivalent to $50 and collect their newly dual-fuelled cars
several hours later. Ahmadinejad's plan, which has been
largely ignored by the West, means that within five years
or so, Iran could be virtually immune to international
sanctions.

While Iran is moving quickly toward energy independence,
Brazil is already there. It's a striking turnaround;
three decades ago, the country imported 80 percent of
its oil supply. But since the 1973 Arab oil embargo, the
Brazilians have invested massively in their sugar-based
ethanol industry and created a fleet of vehicles that can
run on the resulting fuel. According to the Sugar Cane
Industry Union (Unica), 90 percent of the new cars sold
this year in Brazil will be flexible-fuel vehicles that
cost an extra $100 to make but can run on any combination
of gasoline and ethanol.

Lest anyone think that can't be done in the United States,
many of those new cars are made by General Motors and
Ford. All it really takes to turn a regular car into a
flex-fuel one is a fuel sensor and a corrosion-resistant
fuel line.

Discovering how to make hydrocarbons and carbohydrates
happily cohabit in the same fuel tank isn't all
that Brazil has done; it has also increased domestic
oil production. Its efforts have not only broken the
yoke of Brazil's oil dependence but also insulated the
country's economy from the pain of the current spike in
global oil prices. Gasoline prices have nearly doubled
elsewhere since 2005, but in Brazil, they have been almost
frozen. This year, more ethanol will be sold in Brazil
than gasoline. Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

Like Brazil, China has decided to replace gasoline
with alternative fuels. But unlike the United States and
Brazil, where the favorite substitute is ethanol, China has
embraced a different alcohol: methanol. Several provinces
in China already blend their gasoline with methanol, a
clear, colorless liquid also known as wood alcohol, and
scores of methanol plants are currently under construction
there. The Chinese auto industry has already begun to
produce flex-fuel models that can run on methanol. Shanxi,
a province in central China that produces much of the
country's coal, has even issued stickers granting cars
that use pure methanol free passage on the province's
toll roads.

The distinction between methanol and ethanol is just
one letter (but then, so is the difference between
Iran and Iraq). Both biofuels should be in our basket
of options. True, ethanol packs more energy per gallon
and is less corrosive than methanol. But methanol is
cheaper and far easier to produce in bulk. While ethanol
can be made only from agricultural products such as corn
and sugar cane, methanol can be made from natural gas,
coal, industrial garbage and even recycled carbon dioxide
captured from power stations' smokestacks -- an elegant way
to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

Israel offers a fourth testament to what leadership,
ingenuity and audacity can achieve. Last year, it launched
an electric-car venture designed to turn Israel -- which
obviously has some tensions with the region's big
oil producers -- into an oil-free economy. Israelis will
soon be able to replace their gasoline-fueled cars with
battery-operated ones, which they'll plug into the hundreds
of thousands of recharging points planned to be erected
throughout the country. Israeli motorists, the government
hopes, will be able to swap their batteries in a matter
of minutes at dedicated stations or recharge them at home
or at work. "Oil is the greatest problem of all time -- the
great polluter and promoter of terror," said Israeli
President Shimon Peres, the project's political patron.
"We should get rid of it."

For each of the four countries, knocking oil off its
pedestal is no longer a theoretical proposition but a
reality in the making. But despite the lip service our own
politicians pay to the need to reduce our oil dependence,
none of the solutions offered by Iran, Brazil, China and
Israel are even under consideration in the land of the
free and the home of the brave.

Just go down the list. Natural-gas vehicles are nowhere
to be seen. Brazilian sugar-cane ethanol is barred
from the country by a steep 54-cent-per-gallon import
tariff, courtesy of ethanol protectionists and their
representatives in Congress. (No tariff is imposed on
imported oil, of course.) For similar reasons, flex-fuel
cars sold in the United States are certified to run only
on ethanol, keeping methanol and other viable biofuels off
the market -- even though they are cheaper and can be made
from a wealth of coal and biomass resources. The kind of
electric cars deployed in Israel have never returned to
U.S. showrooms since General Motors' mass crushing of
its EV1 -- the subject of the documentary "Who Killed the
Electric Car?"

It's time to get serious. Policies such as "drill more" and
"drive smaller cars" all keep us running on petroleum. At
best, they buy us a few more years of complacency,
while ensuring a much worse dependence down the road
when America's conventional oil reserves are even more
depleted -- whether or not we drill in the Arctic National
Wildlife Refuge.

The hard truth is that real energy independence can be
achieved only through fuel choice and competition. That
competition cannot take place as long as (according to
the Department of Transportation) we continue to put 16
million new cars that run only on petroleum on our roads
every year, each with an average street life of 16.8
years -- thereby locking ourselves into decades more of
petroleum dependence.

So let's remember the old saying: When in a hole, stop
digging. If every new car sold in the United States were
a flex-fuel vehicle and if millions of Americans could
plug in their electric cars, gasoline would be facing
fierce competition at the pump and the socket. Moreover,
our money would have migrated from Exxon to Pepco, from the
Middle East to the Midwest -- as well as to scores of poor,
biomass-producing countries in Africa, Latin America and
South Asia, including the few countries that don't yet hate
our guts. This, and no other, is the road to independence.

Gal Luft is executive director of the Institute for the
Analysis of Global Security and co-founder of the Set
America Free Coalition, a bipartisan alliance of groups
promoting U.S. energy independence.''