Unfortunately, the personal qualities of the candidates or their religious views are not important to our basic living standards. Bush was chosen on the basis of such criteria and look what happened. If the people who vote on the basis of religious values do not start looking at the deeper issues, this country will continue to go down hill. The bad things that are happening now are not accidental and the “liberals” and the democrats have not caused them. They are caused by the basic philosophy of the present leaders. This attitude needs to be changed. McCain and Palin, although nice and sincere people, share these attitudes toward government. The attitude that has caused the trouble is the belief that the free enterprise system, if allowed to work without oversight, will produce the best result. The fact is that certain people in free enterprise system will try to take every advantage they can get at the expense of other people unless the system is regulated by rules that prevent such action. The most recent example is how the mortgage industry was corrupted by greed and self- interest. The Bush administration encouraged this action because everyone was appearing to get rich. It was obvious to any rational person that this could not continue, which was correct. Unfortunately, this was only one of many big and small disasters caused by their hands-off approach. This approach has failed. The ordinary citizen is loosing while the few are getting very rich. This is not what the founding fathers wanted. Obama may be inexperienced, but he sees the problem and has proposed solutions. This is more than be said for McCain et al.

Ed