The American constitution was formed with the concept of freedom for
people, and that coorporations would do their best to oppress people.
And they were right.  They had the East Indies Trading Company, they
knew what evil could be done. If such large businesses are allowed to
exist, they must be regulated.  And before you give me free market
crap, a market in which such a large company exists is, by definition,
no longer a free market, as those companies begin to provide external
forces on the market themselves.