From: thomas malloy [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, November 03, 2008 3:12 AM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: [Vo]:BEI brain electrode interface

60 minutes just did a segment on a brain to electrode interface, BEI.
The late John Scheurner, whom I met on Vortex, worked on the first prototypes
of the BEI. A
scientist, paralyzed by ALS, was shown communicating by typing out messages.

The first model was a cap with electrodes, the reporter put it on and a
technician put conducting
jell between the electrodes and the scalp.

Then they showed a later model which is implanted in the brain. I had the same
idea, but I decided
that I didn't need another hole in my head.

OTOH, if we could come up with a design where the skin were closed over the
hole and the electrode
just touched it.

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! --
http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html
---

Checked by AVG.
PM