Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:

> Michael Foster wrote:
>> Arbitrary raising of interest rates by the Fed, for example, reduces
>> inflation immediately by reducing the demand for borrowing.  Since
>> commercial banks are able to lend about ten times the amount
>> deposited in them,
>
> Please provide a reference for this.

I have continued looking and have found no indication that commercial
banks either are allowed to lend more than their total deposit value,
nor that they actually do.

The money supply is currently several trillion dollars (exact amount
depends on what's included in it):

http://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/MoneySupply.html

All time peak borrowing at the discount window totaled about $400
billion, which is substantially less than the size of the money supply:

http://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/news/Stock%20News/1967248/

Ergo, borrowings at the discount window certainly don't account for 90%
of the circulating money, as your claim would lead one to conclude.

Banks can't make unsecured loans from the discount window; they must
pledge securities in exchange for the loans:

http://www.newyorkfed.org/aboutthefed/fedpoint/fed18.html
http://www.frbdiscountwindow.org/cfaq.cfm?hdrID=21&dtlID=

Commercial banks are limited to lending an amount no larger than their
primary deposits (NB -- a loan from the discount window is certainly not
a "primary deposit").  None the less the overall effect of injecting
high powered money is to increase the money supply by a substantial
factor, termed the "multiplier", over and beyond the deposit of cash by
the Fed:

http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Deposit-creation-multiplier
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071220225943AAAzhu2
http://e-articles.info/e/a/title/Monetary-Multiplier/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional-reserve_banking

Note that the Wiki article claims that the effective reserve rate on
most deposits is currently 0%, which is startling, as that also leads to
a multiplier of infinity.  (But it's been flagged as out of date, so
that may or may not currently be true.)  In any case, that's still no
evidence that banks are allowed to lend out more than the value of their
deposits.

Unfortunately my economics texts seem to be AWOL -- I thought I'd
unpacked them after we moved but they're nowhere to be found, so I'm
just looking at reference on the Web here.

Again, if you have a reference supporting the claim that a commercial
bank can lend out up to 10 times the value of its primary deposits,
please post it.  I would be extremely interested in seeing it.

Thanks.