All,

Here's a question regarding a bit of fiction I am
writing as a side project.

What would the radiation effects be of a hypothetical
pure-fusion nuclear weapon? That is, a nuclear bomb
containing no fissile material whatsoever, triggered
by some other means. The following scenarios are used
in the storyline, and I'd like to get the physics
reasonably correct:

1. Moderately-high altitude detonations over sea
and/or largely uninhabited areas, with intent of
destroying American, Russian, Chinese launched ICBMs,
aircraft squadrons, etc. How much fallout (if any) is
produced by the pure-fusion device, and will remains
of the intercepted fissile-material-containing
missiles cause fallout? I would assume it would.

2. Air blast of pure fusion weapon over land, for
example, a city. Fallout? Neutron activation? How bad
would this be, and would there be some fusion reaction
schemes that could mitigate neutron activation?

3. Same as above, but a ground blast of the fusion
weapon. Again, I'd assume neutron activation would be
a factor, and is there some way to minimize it?

Thanks in advance,
--Kyle