Jed Rothwell wrote:
> Stephen A. Lawrence wrote:
>
>> The point is that the assumption, though it sounds stupid, is actually
>> a lot more realistic than one might expect, because we're not *really*
>> assuming the person who borrows the money banks it.  Rather, we're
>> assuming the money circulates, possibly through several hands, but
>> *eventually* is placed back in a bank account.
>
> Yes, but the total amount in different banks does not change. The first
> bank now has less to lend, and the second has more. Overall
> creditworthiness does not increase, so the fellow who borrowed the money
> in the first place is not free to borrow more, from the second bank, let
> us say.
>
> My point is that people cannot borrow and bank the same money over and
> over again, kiting up the total. Everyone has a credit limit.

Yes, you're right, of course, on all points.

The "money multiplier" as I described it is a first-year economics
concept, taught in introductory macro classes, and it's based on an
*extremely* simplistic view of how things work.  It's useful for
illustrating the point that the money supply isn't "fixed" even for a
country on the gold standard, but it's not good for making quantitative
predictions.

In the real world there is indeed a "multiplier" effect but determining
its value is a lot harder than just plugging the current reserve
requirement into the formula 1/(1-a).

The real world is far messier than any simple pedagogical model of it.
Real macroeconomic models used by professional economists tend to be
huge, fiendishly complicated, and ... nonetheless very inaccurate.