As I said last November, and in my book, I do not think that the existing energy industry will develop cold fusion. In fact, I doubt it will even succeed in developing wind energy. As Clayton Christensen explained in the book "The Innovator's Dilemma," existing industry leader seldom survives the transition to radically new technology. This is not because the industry executives are stupid or blind to change. It is because they are hemmed in by the need to keep their existing business going, and by competition with other companies in the same obsolete field.

Printed newspapers are now on the verge of extinction mainly because of Craigslist, which took away their main steady source of income, because of the Internet in general, and because of the economic crisis. Here in Atlanta, the Atlanta Journal and Constitution is shrinking before our eyes. It went down to 1 page of comics, which is sad. But nothing can or should be done to save obsolete technology.

The collapse of the newspaper business confirms Christensen's hypothesis. See:

"How Newspapers Tried to Invent the Web, but failed"

http://www.slate.com/id/2207912/

Here is another good source:

"Do Newspapers Need Opinions? (Do Opinions Need Newspapers?)"

Mike Kinsley, 2004

http://sites.google.com/site/michaelkinsley/the-role-of-government/do-newspapers-need-opinions

QUOTE:

". . . Meanwhile, from the perspective of cyberspace, it was astonishing to read that the Times just spent $45 million on new printing facilities in order to get eight color pages into each issue. Color pages cost nothing on the Internet.

Coming back from the web to traditional journalism, I have been struck by all the small ways a newspaper seems antiquated (leaving aside the big ways noted above). All the time and energy that go into cutting a few lines here and adding them there, because a paper page is inflexible. . . ."

Major Japanese newspapers have national coverage and they are fewer in number -- there are only three -- so they are doing better than American ones.

Progress in gadgets such as the Amazon.com Kindle reader will put most remaining printed newspapers out of business in 10 or 20 years. When these things achieve resolution and contrast as good or better than paper, a color display, and a larger screen there will be no reason left to print newspapers, magazines and other short-term information on paper. It is only a matter of time before these improvements are made. People may still want books printed on paper for a while, although sales will surely fall and most people will read most books in a gadget like the Kindle.