> For many months, the GEO600 team-members had been
> scratching their
> heads over inexplicable noise that is plaguing their
> giant detector.

<snip...>

> Then, out of the blue, a researcher approached them
> with an
> explanation. In fact, he had even predicted the
> noise before he knew
> they were detecting it.

<snip prophecy in science...>

> dissolves into dots as you zoom in. "It looks like
> GEO600 is being
> buffeted by the microscopic quantum convulsions of
> space-time," says
> Hogan.

Is this why my shock absorbers are buffeted when I
drive down Niagara Falls Blvd.? Or is that just the
potholes?

> If this doesn't blow your socks off, then Hogan, who
> has just been
> appointed director of Fermilab's Center for Particle
> Astrophysics, has
> an even bigger shock in store: "If the GEO600 result
> is what I suspect
> it is, then we are all living in a giant cosmic
> hologram."

Wow. We hear some noise between 300-1500cps, and that
means the universe is a hologram. Planck sized nougaty
bite-size bits on a pringle-shaped universe of some
kind. Can I get some quantum foam atop my Guiness?

"There is something fascinating about science. One
gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such
a trifling investment of fact." -- Mark Twain

Cheers,
--Kyle