Howdy David,
  I believe I know where you are going with this.. brings back memories of the
1960's.
  Using air, at stp you may try using a differential pressure  flow measuring
devices like a simple  1/16" orifice.

  This flow  would  measure the free discharge of air  to atmosphere  from a
tank that maintains a constant internal pressure. You should achieve terminal
velocity of the air flow at approx. 5 PSID at sea level. Various experiments
with magnets and electric arcs, solenoids, etc. can be performed within the
tank while watching the flow meter. You may also change the s,g of the gas.
  As Robin suggests, the mathematics can be difficult, but any need to know the
permitivity .. i.e, the electric constant  relates to your end result so who
cares what the ec is.
  The tank of air provides you with the tools.
  If you want to have a little fun with this experiment.. start with air and
begin blending CO2 gas in to the refilling of the air tank.. as the CO2
discharges to atmosphere.. fun stuff begins. Especially if you  aim one of the
new hydrogen cutting torches at the gas discharge.
  Richard

  On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 2:19 AM, <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

    Hi,
    [snip]
    >Hi
    >
    >Please tell me how to calculate the permittivity, the electrical constant ?

    >and the permeability, magnetic constant ?, in a gas with some net charge.
    >There are no free electrons. The gas is made from diatomic molecules.

    [snip]
    I have no idea, but I suspect it would be quite a complicated calculation,
and
    also depend on density of the gas. Actually I'm not sure it's even possible
    create a gas with a significant net charge, so you might consider air at
STP as
    a reasonable starting point, in which case the relevant relative constants
are
    close to 1 (IOW treat it as a vacuum).

  Theretically anything is possible.

  I consider ordinary air in reasonable temperature ranges. I have seen
calculations like this being performed on lectures but I do not remember enough
of them.

  David