While I agree with Jed's point about reproducibility and hard evidence, such hard evidence is claimed to apply to the UFO phenomenon, the existence of which is rejected with the same kind of arguments. Other than personal observation, we have:

1. Photographs.
2. Radar signals.
3. Pieces of space craft.
4. Pieces of strange foreign material found imbedded in the skin of abductees. 5. Changes in the retina of the eye of people who claimed to be near a UFO.

Simultaneous sightings and photographs have been made at different locations allowing the actual position in space of the object to be determined. This virtually eliminates fraud. While some of the evidence can be faulty, all the evidence, especially that which is internally consistent, can be ignored on this basis.

Nevertheless, I can sympathize with people who do not want to accept this idea. It would require a basic change in religious belief and it would provide one more reason to be afraid. After all, most people are expected to have no contact with the aliens, so why bother with the idea?

Ed