how do you measure person's effort?
by a person's income?

Harry

Effort is what is required to put an ability or talent to work.  Except for
the severely handicapped, we all have things we can do, whether it be
picking berries out of someone's field or picking tumors out of someone's
brain. The market place determines the value of a person's ability. We all
seek to use our ability where it is valued the most. We want to make the
most money for our effort.  If farmer A is paying me $6.00 an hour to pick
berries, and I hear that farmer B down the road is hiring for $6.50 per
hour, I'm going to quit farmer A and hire on with farmer B, as long as I
have the freedom to choose where I work.
Can a migrant worker who is dissatisfied with $6.50 per hour become a brain
surgeon?  Only in America! I read about it in Reader's Digest.

This is a first class example of equal opportunity, but it took tremendous
effort to make this migrant worker's desire a reality, and so it should.  If
you are going under the knife, do you want this guy, or someone who got his
degree the easy way?

I have a friend Jozef from Slovakia back when it was Czechoslovakia.  He was
in med school intending to be a doctor.  He ran afoul of the communist
government on faith issues, was removed from med school and assigned to be
an X-ray technician (no freedom of choice here). That may not sound too bad
to some people on this forum, but what you don't know is that, at that time,
eastern European facilities used no shielding: X-ray technician was a death
sentence.  (Isn't communism wonderful?)  Soon after, he escaped to freedom
in the US where he could be what he wanted.

By the way, he immigrated legally.

Jeff