Park now makes a distinction between "real science" and "good science"
and places
CF research in the former category. I guess this means after 20 years he
feels CF research has emerged from the  "voodoo science" category.

Harry


----- Original Message -----
From: Michel Jullian <[email protected]>
Date: Monday, May 4, 2009 5:15 am
Subject: Re: [Vo]:Park back peddles...

> Also, even though he doesn't mention it, he is probably biased by
> Dardik's record as a fraud:
> 
>
http://w3.health.state.ny.us/opmc/factions.nsf/cd901a6816701d94852568c0004e3fb7/ab4673ce572a225885256a4a0047cb3c/$FILE/ATT3EKNH/lc091514.pdf
> 
> Has he been vindicated for the accusations in the above ruling
> (conning multiple patients suffering of Multiple Sclerosis into
> believing he could cure them in exchange for a few tens of thousand
> dollars, basically), anyone knows?
> 
> I wish CBS had picked a CF research lab led by a less controversial
> character though.
> 
> Michel
> 
> 2009/5/4 Edmund Storms <[email protected]>:
> > I don't think this is back peddling. This is one more effort by 
> Park to
> > appear to be clever and funny at someone else's expense.  He has 
> no opinion
> > about the subject of cold fusion.  He will say what ever makes 
> him look
> > funny and wise to the ignorant.
> >
> > Ed
> >
> >
> > On May 3, 2009, at 11:35 AM, Harry Veeder wrote:
> >
> >> What's New
> >> by Bob Park
> >>
> >> Friday, May 1, 2009
> >>
> >> 1. IT'S STILL COLD: BUT DO I STILL THINK IT'S SCIENCE?
> >> A month before CBS aired the 60 Minutes program on cold fusion, I
> >> commented in WN that "I think it's real science." I still do. That
> >> doesn't mean I think it's good science. Science is conditional;
> >> everything is open to further examination. Some scientists think 
> the>> community was too hasty in writing off the claims of cold 
> fusion in
> >> 1989. They believe there may be important truths yet to be 
> revealed.>> They have searched for those truths for 20 years and 
> have every right
> >> to continue doing so. However, I think the likelihood of success is
> >> extremely low and, if asked, I would recommend against the use of
> >> public funds for that purpose. Their case is not helped by 
> embracing>> any scientific sounding nonsense that purports to show 
> excess energy --
> >> which brings us to Irving Dardik.
> >>
> >> 2. SUPERWAVE: IT EXPLAINS EVERYTHING -- BUT PREDICTS NOTHING.
> >> Written as SuperWave it seems to be a registered trademark. What
> >> exactly is it? Anything you want it to be. Irving Dardik was in 
> sports>> medicine, a specialty notoriously prone to alternative 
> medicine. He
> >> treated sports injuries with rhythmic exercise, and invented a 
> catchy>> name, LifeWaves. This led to an epiphany: you can explain 
> everything>> by wave interference. The French mathematician 
> Fourier, figured that
> >> out in the 18th century, but Dardik doesn't do math. Even solid 
> matter>> is waves, he concluded, i.e. SuperWaves. Is this big? 
> Louis de Broglie
> >> won a Nobel Prize for that idea in 1929, and Irving Schrodinger won
> >> the Nobel Prize in 1933 and transformed the world by putting wave
> >> theory into an equation. But Dardik doesn't do equations. 
> Instead he
> >> hired a flack, Roger Lewin, to gush endlessly about him in a 2005
> >> book, Making Waves, with a Forward by, uh, Michael McKubre. So the
> >> CBS “science buzz” consists of one chemist?

Reply via email to