Terry Blanton wrote:

Brilliant sage that he was, he did not quite get the nuclear bomb right . .
> .

> This
> liberated fresh inducive, and so in a few minutes the whole bomb was a
> blazing continual explosion."
>
> It was more like a giant fire than an explosion.

Except that it went on for months. A bit like core of the Chernobyl reactor.
Maybe Wells wasn't so far off. Imagine that reactor core dropped into a
city.

At Los Alamos during the war, some people thought the bomb would not be
ready in time, and they thought about dumping radioactive garbage on the
Germans.

Harry Veeder wrote:

"so you anticipate a nuclear war in the middle of the 21st century thanks to
cold fusion?"

I sure hope not!

Without cold fusion, I do anticipate many many conventional wars in the
middle of the 21st century fighting over oil, and water, like the last two
wars we fought in Iraq.

And if the spirit of the anti-cold fusion, anti-science fanatics prevails,
then in the more distant future I expect wars over food and land, fought
with sticks and rocks. Things tend to either progress or regress.
Civilization seldom remains in stasis for long.