My knowledge of quantum effects is rather provincial, so please take
this into consideration concerning the quality of my question.

I've heard of a phenomenon akin to subatomic particles being able to
"bore" effortlessly through atoms in a manner roughly similar to
playing croquet, where you place your foot on a ball and whack it with
the hammer causing an adjacent physically touching ball to go flying
across the lawn. It's my understanding there is a phenomenon that
describes traveling subatomic particles which, under appropriate
conditions, seem to be able to pass effortlessly through an atom and
magically reappear on the other side where they can continue
unhindered on their original trajectory. It is as if no resistance was
experienced while the subatomic particle was in intimate contact with
the atom. Such a phenomenon, if I am describing it correctly, seems to
bring up questions in regards to what the hell happened to the Coulomb
barrier.

Makes me wonder if the phenomenon, if better understood, might be able
to avail itself to tricking the nucleus into doing weird things...
like possibly rearranging the proton/neutron ratio. ...or perhaps
finessing a few out or in.

Several googled attempts to locate literature related to "quantum
boring" and related phrases were unsuccessful. All I seem to get are
critiques on the recent James Bond flick, "Quantum Solace", and how
"boring" they thought it was.

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com