Fumed silica, an inexpensive commercial product, is supposed to have particles
of between 4 and 50 nanometers. It's very strange stuff, forming a gel with
common liquids, including water. Whether the material would be useful for this
type of experiment, I have no idea.

I've often wondered if palladium or nickel vapor deposited on fumed silica
would make for an interesting Arata type experiment. A teaspoon of fumed silica
is said to have the surface area of a tennis court.