Hi,
[snip]

>On Oct 7, 2009, at 12:41 PM, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:

>> -0800:
>> Hi,
>> [snip]
>>> It is technically very difficult to obtain plate spacings of less
>>> than a micron.
>> [snip]
>> Normal solids already have crystal lattice spacing on the order of
>> Angstroms.
>
>How is the relevant?

Think of a single crystal as two crystals separated by a single lattice spacing.
The separation distance between the two is exactly one lattice spacing. Now you
have two "plates" effectively with near perfectly smooth surfaces separated from
one another by a very small distance.
Note that "real" plates also have surfaces comprising atomic lattices, so the
only difference in this case is the separation distance which is vastly smaller
than anything we could achieve mechanically.

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html