[This is mysterious. Okay here is part 2 again, slightly reformatted. If this does not work I shall break this segment into two parts,]

Mizuno's Hydrogen Experiment

Mizuno presented the creosote in hydrogen experiment that he presented at ICCF-14 in more detail, from a paper that has been accepted for publication. He has made more progress recently with a scaled up device and different catalysts, both platinum and nickel. He hopes to present these newer results soon. Mizuno has invited me to visit again. If the gadget works well enough, i.e. with no input power, I hope to go to Sapporo and have a first-hand look.

Mizuno is officially retired from Hokkaido U. At Japanese national universities, retired professors are not allowed to stick around the campus. They usually get a job in a corporation or private university. Mizuno's friends and former students managed to make an exception for him, and they found him a small space to work in. He has no salary and he has to pay out of his own pocket for newly fabricated equipment, new instruments, and things like mass spectroscopy performed at corporations, which can cost thousands of dollars per run. However, this arrangement is good because it gives him some access to instruments, experts, and discounted services and consultation with corporations affiliated with the university. Some of these corporations have been collaborating with Mizuno for many years and they continue to assist him gratis. So he is better positioned than most retired professors.

More Funding and Support, Although Political Opposition Still Strong

As I said, along with good wishes from the Physical and Chemical societies, there seems to be an upsurge of funding in the EU and the US, especially from the U.S. military agencies such as DARPA. Scaramuzzi and others who have not been funded for 5 or 10 years are now funded and back at work. U.S. Navy researchers have been doing cold fusion for many years, "under the radar" as they themselves say. They are more visible, openly registering at conferences and presenting results. Regrettably, the SPAWAR Navy group did not send anyone to the conference.

The extent of the turnaround is perhaps best illustrated by the fact that U.S. Navy China Lake lab has even invited Melvin Miles to return and resume his work in cold fusion. This is remarkable because when he published positive results years ago, they punished him by reassigning him as a stock clerk, and by attacking and ridiculing him until he got disgusted and took early retirement. Miles was a Distinguished Fellow of the Institute so this was extraordinarily harsh treatment. Most of the management of the Institute has been replaced by now, but some of the people who attacked him are still there.

To give an example of how we are not out of the woods yet, months ago Takahashi was invited to submit a paper to a major journal. He went to a lot of trouble to write a comprehensive paper. As he was finishing it up a few weeks ago, plasma fusion researchers found out about it and prevailed upon the editors to rescind the invitation. (I hope this paper will soon be published elsewhere. Takahashi has already granted me permission to upload it to LENR-CANR.org.) I think this academic battle is still in the balance, and cold fusion might still be suppressed and forgotten. Opponents show no signs of backing down.

Still, there has been a turnaround of sorts, and I have the impression that much of it is thanks to the CBS "60 Minutes" broadcast in April 2009. This opened many doors. Apparently, many high level decision-makers in the scientific establishment are more influenced by the mass media than by a body of peer-reviewed scientific papers proving that cold fusion is real. The broadcast and the turnaround were brought about by dedicated, patient, behind the scenes arrangements made by some scientists who support cold fusion. They are well known to me, but wish to remain anonymous for obvious reasons. They are to be congratulated. The turnaround and new support is also thanks to lectures and statements by Robert Duncan after he was featured on "60 Minutes," and also to recent technical progress, especially with nanoparticle gas loaded devices.

There was a vigorous debate during an open discussion period regarding how to present the progress in cold fusion to the public and the scientific community. (This was recorded on the DVD.) People from funding agencies prefer to characterize the work as purely scientific with no likely practical use. McKubre and a few others say that there is evidence the effect may be practical, and it would intellectually dishonest not to mention that. Plus, McKubre said he would not devote most of his career to a scientific anomaly with no practical significance. If he did not think cold fusion might become a practical source of energy, he would not be involved in it. During the "60 Minutes" program McKubre said similar things, and Duncan said the kind of things the funding agency directors now say. I support McKubre's side, but I grant the other side has valid points.

Renewed Interest in Japan

The ICCF-14 Japanese country history by Kasagi and Iwamura says that research in Japan is practically moribund and that in a few years the last researcher will retire.

<http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KasagiJcountryhis.pdf>http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/KasagiJcountryhis.pdf

However, several young Japanese researchers attended the conference and they took exception to this. They said they are expecting 20 or 30 groups to show up at JCF society meeting next April, including many young people. They have also set a new rule that only new data can be presented at the JCF, not a rehash of previously reported results.

I do not know why the country history is so pessimistic. Perhaps more people have joined the field lately, or perhaps Kasagi and Iwamura were unaware of this other research.

Proceedings May Or May Not Be Published Online

It is unclear whether the Proceedings will be made available online or not. The Conference Chairman, Vittorio Violante, told me that the ENEA is a giant bureaucratic organization with thousands of people in it and he does not know what their rules are, although he works there. (Needless to say, the ENEA has never heard of me or LENR-CANR.org, although some ENEA researchers have gotten the organization to grant permission to me to upload some papers, but not others.)

The conference steering committee, the IAC, formed a publication committee consisting of Jean-Paul Biberian, Mahadeva Srinivasan and me. The IAC told us they want us to decide: where and how they should be published; and whether an ordinary copyright should be applied, or a Creative Commons Attribution Licenses (CCAL) should be applied. Apparently the ENEA is unaware of this committee and plans to publish by their normal methods, presumably in a printed book only. A total of 85 copies of the ICCF-10 and ICCF-11 proceedings books have sold, so printing and selling copies of cold fusion papers, without making them available online, is tantamount to burying them. I have written to Violante asking him to clarify the situation and tell us whether the committee will decide these things or the ENEA will, but he has not yet had a chance to respond. If I have any say in the matter the Proceedings will be made freely available in electronic format.

Too Much Spooky Food

The conference featured three gala events which is 2.5 too many for me. In Europe these events start hours behind schedule and go way past my bedtime, and they feature lavish quantities of haute cuisine that smells like cat food. So I normally skip them and save the money. In this case, either I accidently paid for these events, or the ENEA accidentally gave me tickets for free. So out of curiosity I attended, and stayed about as long as the (other) infants in attendance. The company was delightful needless to say. But I think it is a bad idea to hold such lavish events because it drives up the cost, wastes time, and people are groggy the next day. Also this discourages or precludes attendance by young people and grad students. I think ICCF conferences should be held in universities in cheap and easily accessible locations where they have cheap restaurants and student unions conveniently located nearby. Yokohama National University and Tsinghua U. were good choices. I do not see why we cannot hold the conference in these places again. Rome, Italy is too expensive and too distracting. Rome, Georgia would be too far out of the way. Someplace like George Washington U. would be a good choice.

Next Conference

The next conference will be held in Chennai, India in early 2011. It will be chaired by Srinivasan. As much as I like Srinivasan, I feel this is a mistake because there is no cold fusion research underway in India, and India is distant and inconvenient for most researchers.

A year ago I would have said the researchers will likely all be retired, incapacitated or dead by 2011 but there were several in attendance who are younger than me, and even some younger than my children, so perhaps there is hope for this field after all.