Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

But the possibility would remain that some condition in the electrolyte
> close to the cathode raises the resistance there, so the Joule heat would be
> dissipated there, thus making the cathode appear hotter. But I think it
> unlikely. Shanahan might disagree.

It does not matter how hot the cathode appears to be (how high the
temperature is). It matters only how much heat the cell as a whole produces
over time, and whether that heat exceeds input power by a large margin.
Shanahan believes there are "positional" errors; i.e., the heat is shifted
from one place in the cell to another and this causes an artifact in the
calorimetry. With a calorimeter that measures heat in the electrolyte this
is conceivable although it can easily be shown that it does not happen. With
calorimeters that measure heat outside the cell it is impossible. Or nearly
impossible. Storms has reported very slight positional variations with a
Seebeck calorimeter so he uses a fan inside the calorimeter to stir the air
and eliminate this. With other external types such as Miles' with the copper
sleeve around the entire cell, I cannot imagine how there could be
positional problems. How would you prevent copper from conducting the heat
evenly to all 3 or 4 thermocouples, which are outside the sleeve? As far as
I know, even in principle there is no way to tell where, inside the cell,
the heat is originating. It might be handy if you could tell, but you
cannot.

The other day I mentioned to Shanahan that it seems unlikely this positional
artifact would occur only with Pd and deuterium, and not Pt and hydrogen or
Pd and hydrogen. He said that is not unlikely and his theory can account for
it. I cannot imagine how changing the hydrogen isotope would produce
positional problems, but that's what he said.

> Absolutely. Heat is a signature, a crucial one. So how do we know we have
> excess heat? Calorimetry? Fine. Problem for my purposes is that is
> cumbersome.

Yes, well, nature did not deign to make this experiment easy or convenient.
That's rather like thinking about airplanes circa 1900 and saying "the
problem for my purposes is that trying to fly is dangerous." It sure is! You
should stay on the ground.