On Nov 25, 2009, at 3:13 PM, William Beaty wrote:

On Wed, 25 Nov 2009, Horace Heffner wrote:
I haven't looked at the referenced website yet, as I have little time
at the moment.  However, it seems this might be a future topic of
interest on vortex-l, depending on how things go for Eaton, Sokol,
and Allan.

Who besides the inventor has achived closed-loop?

I don't now of any. I think there are lots of groups that inject hydrogen and oxygen into their motors though, to increase efficiency.

My impression was that HHO devices are only sold by dishonest scammers, because while they work as claimed, the sellers hide the fact that they
shorten your engine life through hydrogen embrittlement.  Has someone
solved this problem?  Or am I wrong?

I don't think anyone injects pure hydrogen. It's a stoichiometric mix of hydrogen and oxygen. If you think about it, it is really not too different from burning hydrocarbons in air. You get oxygen and hydrogen in the flame, from decomposing hydrocarbons and air, and make water. With H2 and O2 injection you just get more water. The excess water might be a problem, but we have discussed many times here, mainly thanks to Fred Sparber, that in WWII many farmers used commercial tractors that increased gas milage through water injection. I actually saw one of those on display here in Palmer, AK recently, still in running condition. The water extracted the heat from the combustion to make steam which increased the cylinder pressure, resulting in a better power stroke and lower temperature cleaner burning and a more efficient engine, due to the fact less waste heat was ejected. This is not to say excess water can't ruin some engines, especially modern ones! It also is not to say there is any reason to believe anyone can "close the loop" with this. It is just to say there may be efficiencies to be gained.

OT:  I never knew that Andrija Puharich ever was into FE devices.  But
apparently he had a maverick H2-splitting theory, and in the 1970s he was
driving around an RV with an onboard high-freq hydrogen generator.

I think the supposedly ou electrolysis of Puharich, including the 2nd law violating aspects of Puharich, have been discussed here in the past. Here are some old posts: