Thanks, Bill!

On 12/03/2009 08:14 AM, William Beaty wrote:

   Danyk666 and his microwave oven  (Czech language)
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_DKblzdbJI

Yeesh!  Like pouring a bucket of live spiders down your pants.

Well he SAYS it's at "reduced power" (in one of the comments). Doesn't say how reduced, but notice that in this one there's no fan on the magnetron, so it's presumably not working very hard.

And if you thought THAT was bad...

   danyk and his unshielded x-ray source
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzMXKxadnVw

Holy Flying Mice. I hope Danyk isn't planning on having a lot of kids (or maybe he wears lead shorts when playing with this stuff).

   danyk makes a jacob's ladder
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUJzQ0QPx9g

I had a roommate in college who had a very nice Jacob's ladder which he'd made from an old neon sign transformer. He just took two lengths of very heavy gauge, very stiff bare copper wire, about 2 feet long, and screwed them to the terminals, pointed the ends up, bent them apart in a reasonably neat curve so the closest point was right between the electrodes (where they were maybe an inch or two apart), and voila, plug it in and get a repeating traveling arc running up between the posts. (Of course it's convection of the heated air in the arc which makes it climb.)

Sometimes it didn't start right away, but then spitting on it just a little would generally get it going.

Never touched either one of the terminals, so I don't know what the effect would have been. I would guess that the secondary floated so it wasn't as dangerous as it looked, but for all I know it could conceivably have had one side grounded internally, which would have made it a rather different story. He used to keep it on a table next to his bed.

   danyk microwaves a cup of water
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DofLTIDszI

   danyk zaps a CDROM
   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7Re0njZ4mY

Am I wrong, or will the gaps around the CD, when he leans it up against the horn, produce occasional flat beams going off in random directions?

Czechoslovakian roulette?

What happens if you get a shot straight in the eye? In an old Doc Savage novel, where Doc plays with unshielded microwaves, that meant an instant cataract but I've never known if that's also true in the 'real world'.