On Feb 6, 2010, at 3:51 PM, Jones Beene wrote:

... IOW muon fusion is ongoing but rare.

I think cosmic ray triggering may be very important to triggering cold fusion burst events. Also to surface "volcano" creation frequently observed.

Small but important distinction.
Therefore, I think it is safe to say that MCF *always* occurs in palladium
deuteride CF as a matter of course, in fact it would be difficult to
restrain it from occurring, but the number of fusion events is so low over any given time span that it cannot explain the excess heating ... or rather it can explain only a small fraction of the excess heat - probably far less
than one percent.

It could, however, serve to explain a small diurnal variation. As for a larger diurnal variation, or as a real triggering event, that would be where
the difficulty lies.

Cosmic rays are isotropic. At the surface their effect is not isotropic due to a slight east-west bias due perturbation of cosmic rays by the earth's magnetic field, however diurnal *flux* variation is small.

I think it is neutrino flux that varies daily due to the sun being the primary local source, and the earth (or in the case of an eclipse the moon) absorbing some of the neutrinos.

Some component of the solar wind might be important?

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/