Gotta love Naudin's work on this -- it's so clear...

Couple things, from a very quick skim of the new version of the page.

** Introductory text in a box at top of page:

> The current required to get the temporary depolarization of the magnetic
> domains of the ferrite is fully independent of the mechanical torque
> produced on the motor shaft.

As I mentioned previously, this isn't entirely true.  The torque
produced by the shaft must depend on the strength of the permanent
magnets used, and the field generated in the core when the coil is
energized must be large enough to 'swamp' the field of the permanent
magnets, so the current needed must be larger when using more powerful
permanent magnets.  So, the (minimum) current needed in the coils does
indeed depend, in a gross way, on the torque produced by the motor --
but increasing the current beyond that minimum won't increase the
torque, and the system is (probably) putting far more than the minimum
required current through the coils.  Consequently effects such as
changed minimum current requirement as a result of minor changes to the
magnets won't be apparent.

** Test 3, Canceling Back EMF in the toroidal coils --
He's not measuring back EMF here.  He's measuring induced EMF in an
unenergized coil (the "fifth wheel" which is used as a sensor).

In the context of BEMF, the only time induced EMF is interesting is when
there's current flowing through the coil.  Otherwise, the induced EMF
does no work.  In fact, in the actual stator coils, the change in the
external field takes place either when the coils are shut off (as the
magnets approach) or when the cores are saturated and unresponsive (as
the magnets leave).

My expectation, then, would have been that the BEMF would be zero
whether or not there's sloppy alignment in the system.  That would have
to be measured by mis-aligning one of the actual stator coils and
measuring BEMF.  I haven't as yet read the page carefully enough to see
if he does that, nor to understand why he thinks there would be BEMF in
that case.

** Test 7: Test of effect of a load on the current

The "high powered LED panel" has unspecified power consumption.  That
makes it impossible to tell, a priori, if we *should* be able to see a
difference in current through the coils.  But we can take a guess at the
LED draw, and come to some tentative conclusions.

Small LEDs draw typically on the order of a dozen mA, and run at a
couple of volts.  So let's say this is 20 mA * 2 volts = 40 mW.

The rig seems to be running at about 10 volts applied, according to
scope traces elsewhere on the page.  At 400 mA current, that's 4 watts.

So, the drain of the LEDs is on the order of 40 mW/4W = 1% of the input
power.  That would translate to a difference of 4 mA.  Looking at the
dial on his analog meter, that should show up pretty clearly.  It
clearly doesn't.  So, he's right, this indicates no BEMF.

The video with the digital meter is actually less clear than the analog
video, as the bottom digit on the digital meter wanders all over the
place and could easily varying by .004 A.

At the same time, there is one other piece of information which is
missing, which makes it hard to judge the significance of the lack of
measured change in the current:  Does the motor slow down when the LEDs
are turned on, and by what percent?  If we assumed constant friction in
the bearings, that would tell us what percent of the output power was
being diverted from the bearings to the LEDs.  However, the speed
doesn't seem to have been measured in that test.