>From Terry:

> http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/411/
>
> "I think Bloom Energy is looking to install 100 Kilowatt power units
> in everyone's houses. These will be flex-fuel, but likely running
> mostly on natural gas. They will also probably produce heat, and
> cooling, as well as power, making the devices roughly 85% efficient
> (thus generating two times less greenhouse gas emissions than a power
> plant per unit of power used.) "
>
> Not very geeky considering that the mean electric power consumption
> for an average house is 1 kW.  A 10 kW unit should be adequate.

Indeed, I was also under the impression that you only need to produce
50 kw units to power most cars. American households OTOH typically
need far less than 100 kw. I was told: Possibly up to 20 - 25 kw for
peak performance.

If this company actually does start selling 100 kw units in-mass for
American household there is obviously the potential to generate a lot
of excess electricity that could be fed back into the grid, a kind of
collective insurance energy program that benefits the local
neighborhood. As Mike Carrell once commented, it would become crucial
that any excess electricity destined to be fed back into the grid be
synchronized in order to avoid explosive power transmission
disasters.I envision a lot of "regulation" will soon be in store for
anyone who wishes to generate their own electricity. Soon in the works
will be new rules and regulations that everyone must adhere to in
order to practice "safe grid" procedures.

It's my understanding that at present these 100 kw units cost hundreds
of thousands of dollars using current manufacturing
techniques.Obviously they plan on reducing current costs significantly
within 5 - 10 years. They have even speculated on the possibility of
being able to sell 100 kw units for a mere $3000. That's a tall order
considering their current price tag. Nevertheless, necessity is the
mother of invention, so I gather it's not entirely impossible.

IMO, what might be a more lucrative approach would be to manufacture
smaller Bloom boxes, boxes a quarter of the current size, where they
only generate 25 kw at peak performance. In theory that could mean
individual unit costs might be be reduced to around $1000. Very
attractive!

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson
www.OrionWorks.com