Associate Professor,

Department of Physics, Engineering Physics and Astronomy

Associate Professor,

Department of Physics, Engineering Physics and Astronomy

Queen’s University

Stirling Hall Room 371

Tel: (613) 533-6804

E-mail: dig...@physics.queensu.ca

Quantum Optics in Photonic Crystals

It is well known that the spontaneous emission of atoms, molecules, and quantum
dots can be drastically affected by the environment in which they are placed.
For example, the rate of spontaneous emission of an atom in vacuum will be very
different from that of an atom in a small metallic cavity with dimensions on
the order of the wavelength of the emitted radiation.   Similarly, if an atom
is located within the bandgap of a photonic crystal -- i.e. in the frequency
range where there are no propagating electromagnetic modes in the structure –
then the spontaneous emission can be completely suppressed.   Conversely, the
rate of spontaneous emission can be greatly enhanced if the atom is placed at
the location of a defect in the photonic crystal, where the mode density is
very high.   This last effect is called the Purcell effect.

We are currently researching the interesting dynamics of spontaneous emission
in photonic crystals with multiple, coupled-cavity defect states
[5,7,9,11,12,14,15].   We use a projected Green tensor approach to calculate
the local density of states and spontaneous emission dynamics.   We have found
that the radiation dynamics can be very interesting in such structures.   In
particular, the spontaneous emission rate can be either enhanced or diminished
due to quantum-path interference effects in the structure.   This is
demonstrated in the plot to the left, where we plot the local density of states
for a double-cavity structure showing a large peak in the defect near x=-2 but
a dip in the defect near x=+3.   This approach makes it much easier to
understand the basic physics of multiple-defect structures and has possible
implications for quantum-computing applications of photonic crystals.   More
recently [9], we have been examining quantum optics in photonic crystal
waveguides in the strong coupling limit.   Until recently, such calculations
were prohibitive due to the complexity of the system.   However our new
projective techniques make a wide variety of complex structure amenable to
investigation.   These results are leading to a better understanding of the
role of quantum path interference in photonic crystals.

Queen’s University

Stirling Hall Room 371

Tel: (613) 533-6804

E-mail: dig...@physics.queensu.ca

RESEARCH INTERESTS

All of my research lies in the area of theoretical condensed-matter physics and
nonlinear and quantum optics.   This work ranges from pure to applied physics
and often involves collaboration with experimentalists.   The following is a
brief overview of some of my current research interests.