Jones wrote on 3-27-10:

... there is no need for a liquid if we can dispense
with electrolysis.

IMHO this is probably a significant way in which
LENR is maturing ...  -- gas phase. Why not? There is
little advantage to electrolysis as it actually hinders
confirmed numerous times by independent experimenters.

Efforts are underway from a few of those experimenters
(at least one, anyway) to increase the low delta-T of A-Z
by means of other energy input.  That is obviously the
way to proceed, as commercialization will demand a useable
spread ... The easiest way to move beyond A-Z would be high
voltage, but coherent light would certainly be interesting.

-----------

Horace Heffner wrote on 3-27-10:

High temperature cell operation is clearly necessary to
achieve practical Carnot efficiencies.

-----------

A Commentator wrote:

*Cold fusion.* Fusion, i.e., the production of
higher weight nuclei from lower weight ones, at
low temperatures instead of at the high ones thought
necessary. Non-thermonuclear fusion. Neutron-catalyzed?
Okay, maybe. But what does that have to do with whether
it's fusion or not?

-------------

Another Commentator wrote:

The sanest position here is no position. There is helium,
and it's correlated at roughly the value for deuterium to
helium conversion -- let's call that "fusion," okay?

-----------

Horace Heffner wrote on 3-23-10:

The term in question I think is "nuclear fusion".
There are many definitions which do not mention the
Coulomb barrier. However, it appears plasma fusion is
often assumed.

-------------

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

And the reason is obvious. Almost all known fusion is
plasma, thermonuclear fusion.

A.k.a. the brute force method. In the ACS press briefing,
Peter Hagelstein called this kind of fusion "vacuum
reactions" which I think is a good term.

Regarding words and the definition of "cold fusion,"
I would like to remind readers that Humpty Dumpty was
fundamentally right:

[Source: Through the Looking Glass]

`I don't know what you mean by "glory,"' Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. `Of course you don't
-- till I tell you. I meant "there's a nice knock-down
argument for you!"'

`But "glory" doesn't mean "a nice knock-down argument,"'
Alice objected.

`When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a
scornful tone, `it means just what I choose it to mean --
neither more nor less.'

`The question is,' said Alice, `whether you can make words
mean so many different things.'

`The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, `which is to be
master - - that's all.'

----------------

Hi All,     3-27-10

The discussion of the definition of "cold fusion" is
fascinating.  I find Humpty's position somewhat extreme,
but not beyond the means of practical implementation, as
pointed out in "1984", and as demonstrated by the effective
financing of propaganda from the insurance companies during
the recent health law debate.

Thomas Hobbes' position is more to my taste: "Words are
counters; and wise men only reckon with them; but they
are the money of fools."

The lazy-thinking thought in my mind is that cold
fusion takes place at standard temperatue and pressure;
but obviously that does not provide enough difference
between heat source and heat sink to do useful work,
which is a pessimistic position that should be rejected
(would someone kindly give me another snapshot thought to
define cold fusion?)

Where I really have a problem is 'plasma fusion.'

``Almost all known fusion is plasma, thermonuclear fusion.
Peter Hagelstein called this kind of fusion "vacuum
reactions" ...''

``The term in question I think is "nuclear fusion".
... it appears plasma fusion is often assumed.''

Is it possible to have room temperature and low pressure
plasma cold fusion reactions?  I can imagine cold fusion
in space when deuterium encounters the right nanoparticles
and is converted to helium.  Is the background helium
concentration a measure of this activity?  If most of the
universe exists as plasma, as suggested by Hannes Alfvén,
could there be a lot of natural cold fusion going on?

Jack Smith

----------

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannes_Alfv%C3%A9n

Hannes Alfvén - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

``Hannes Olof Gösta Alfvén (born 30 May 1908 in Norrköping,
Sweden; died 2 April 1995 in Djursholm, Sweden) was a
Swedish electrical engineer, plasma physicist and winner
of the 1970 Nobel Prize in Physics for his work on
magnetohydrodynamics (MHD).

He was originally trained as an electrical power engineer
and later moved to research and teaching in the fields of
plasma physics and electrical engineering.

Alfvén made many contributions to plasma physics, including
theories describing the behavior of aurorae, the Van
Allen radiation belts, the effect of magnetic storms on
the Earth's magnetic field, the terrestrial magnetosphere,
and the dynamics of plasmas in the Milky Way galaxy.''