The article says:

"The electron eventually gets sucked into the nanotube via quantum tunneling, causing its companion ion to shoot away -- repelled by the strong charge of the 300-volt nanotube -- at a speed of roughly 26 kilometers per second, or 59,000 miles per hour."

I wonder if that could be used for a high ISP rocket engine, like an ion drive.

What we need for rockets is something like a miniature particle accelerator, or an array of microscopic ones. They have to be more efficient than a full scale one because even with cold fusion or some other nuclear source of electricity you don't want too much weight in the power supplies.