-----Original Message-----
From: mix...@bigpond.com

>1. Cathode wire will be gold, 0.010 inch diameter. Galileo was
>silver. Gold is chosen because later SPAWAR work showed much more
>neutron evidence with a gold cathode. I'd say that nobody knows why.
>But it's neutrons I'll be looking for.

I suspect that Au is heavy enough to fission when it occasionally fuses with
D,
yielding a few excess neutrons.

Here is an oldie but goodie, from 1946

http://www.jstor.org/pss/97856

gold irradiated with slow neutrons shows strong activity; and even though it
is beta decay in this study, I'd be surprised if the neutrons which show up
are not related somehow (spallation from the beta?)