--- On Sat, 7/17/10, mix...@bigpond.com <mix...@bigpond.com> wrote:

> At a distance of 1 light year, a dish with a radius of 100
> m would pick up grand
> total of 3E-22 W from a 10 MW transmitter on Earth. I don't
> think there are any
> 10 MW transmitters, and even if there were, a signal that
> small would be
> completely and utterly lost in the background noise.

>From this page,

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/astronomy/faq/part6/section-12.html

it is suggested a UHF carrier could be detected at a range of 0.3 ly. If that
is true, a passing probe, eavesdropping on nearby solar-type stars could get an
idea that there's something near the Sun.

I read a paper some time ago, by Jill Tarter I think, that suggested that radar
broadcasts (Arecibo transmissions, ICBM early warning radar) could be detected
out to a distance of some light-years.

The fact that no intelligible broadcast could be detected from a distance of
more than ~1/3 light-year is interesting; there could be something as close as
Alpha Centauri, and we might never know about it.

--Kyle