I wrote:

> To be effective you would want to send out multiple beams from deep space,
> repeated for thousands of years, from an antenna orbiting the star or on the
> surface of an airless planet . . . Even something as elaborate as this will
> eventually cost a trivial amount. It seems to me that an intelligent species
> would be motivated to do this as a favor to alien astronomers and
> biologists. To help your distant intellectual colleagues.

Bear in mind also that if there were, say, ~1 million civilizations doing
this, many of them would have found one-another long ago. This would
motivate them to redouble their efforts to find other alien civilizations,
and take a census of the galaxy. Some would be within ~100 ly of one
another, which in a sense is close enough for real-time communication. I
mean they would not forget about one-another, and even if the species were
as short-lived as we are, groups of experts would find it worthwhile to
compose and transmit messages although they would not live to read the
take centuries, such as building cathedrals.

I assume these civilizations would eventually exchange huge amounts of
information, including language. They might set up cooperative reverse-SETI
projects. This would enhance the likelihood of finding still other
civilizations because:

They would have practice contacting alien civilizations, and they would be
good at it.

They would split up assigned areas of the galaxy.

Each would re-broadcast messages from the other.

Perhaps eventually dozens or hundreds of civilizations might join in an
organized effort. If anything like this scenario was occurring, I think it
is likely that we would have detected a "hello galaxy!" signal by now.