Hi,

The cross section of the D-D reaction is much higher than for p-D or p-Ni, so it
seems reasonable that more D-D reactions are likely to occur, and would be
responsible for the majority of the excess heat.
If the energy is dumped in the form of a fast electron, then there is nothing to
prevent D-D from going straight to He4 (which it prefers to do because the
binding forces in the He4 nucleus are much stronger than in the He3 or T
nuclei).
Note also that Pd is element 46 whereas Ni is only 28. The much higher charge on
the Pd nucleus means that compared to Ni, a proton has "no chance" of
penetrating the Coulomb field of Pd, which may well explain why H never works
with Pd. It may occasionally work with Ni, due to the lower charge. Note that
the H-H reaction is weak force mediated, and hence very unlikely, by many orders
of magnitude. (Not impossible, just very slow), whereas the p-Ni reaction is
strong force mediated (various possibilities).
IOW one might expect D-D to be "easy", p-D more difficult, p-Ni even more
difficult, and p-Pd almost impossible. In short while D can easily fuse with
itself (strong force mediated), H can only fuse with itself extremely slowly
(weak force mediated), leaving H few options other than to react preferentially
with any D that might be present, or in the absence thereof with the metal
nucleus.
BTW the implication here is that the lower a metal is in the periodic chart, the
better it should perform with H (other necessary criteria being met).

Regards,

Robin van Spaandonk

http://rvanspaa.freehostia.com/Project.html