From: Jed Rothwell [mailto:jedrothw...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 8:56 PM
To: Nick Palmer
Cc: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: EXTERNAL: [Vo]:My critique of an experiment posed by Dennis Cravens

Nick Palmer <ni...@wynterwood.co.uk<mailto:ni...@wynterwood.co.uk>> wrote:

The LED will not be convincing. How about just training an IR camera on it and
putting the image on the web? A slow stream of air
passing the cell would warm up and clearly show on the image.

Why not simply install thermocouples and a thermometer in the cell, and in the
nearby ambient air? That is simple, direct and foolproof. With 4 W it will
produce a definitive result. If it were a fraction of 1 W this would not work.

In an ordinary room this would be somewhat problematic and inaccurate because
of fluctuations in air temperature and currents of air, but this room is
reportedly temperature-stable.

I would also insulate the cell well except for one copper pipe (or nail) coming
out of the top. Most of the heat would radiate from that pipe, and it would be
warm to the touch. At 4 W it would be quite warm. This occurred to me while I
was driving home, when somehow the design of an internal combustion engine
circa 1880 came to mind. Spark plugs were not invented, or not reliable, so
they used an iron bar protruding into the cylinder. It was heated red hot on
the outside by a small flow of burning gasoline. The mixture of air and
gasoline was injected when the piston started to descend, and it ignited
immediately from the hot plug.