Jones Beene <jone...@pacbell.net> wrote:

> My colleague asked Focardi directly “do you know what the catalyst is?” He
> said without hesitation that he did not know, and that no one except Rossi
> knows.

Yup. That's what I have heard too. Typical of the "inventor's disease." If
Rossi drops dead today he will take the secret of this device to the grave,
just as so many others have done.

How can the device be replicated successfully without that detail, and do
> you really want to see a lot of null results ?

That is the subject of vigorous debate by many people behind the scenes at
this moment.

> The patent rejection notice from the WIPO for the original filing states
> that he must disclose the catalyst or drop the reference to it, yet in his
> revised filing he did not disclose. This indicates that it will remain a
> “trade secret” and that the patent is essentially worthless except as an
> threat of litigation.

I would say "perfectly worthless." Not worth the electrons it is displayed
with on your screen.

The patent is yet another example of Rossi's strange behavior and what looks
like faulty judgement to most people. The trade secrets and patents worry me
far more than the allegations that Rossi has been involved in questionable
business deals, mysterious fires, or that he claims a degree from a fake
university. In the big picture, that stuff makes no difference. If Rossi is
right, not only will he get dozens of honorary degrees, they will name a
university after him. No one will care that he was a scoundrel -- or at
least, a scamp -- before he became famous. Many famous people have
disreputable pasts. You can read about that in obscure biographies, but no
one gives a hoot. Nor should anyone care, since the good Rossi may do will
outweigh the bad by a huge margin. I say the good he *may* do. So far he has
not accomplished anything of practical use, and because he seems infected
with the inventor's disease, he may never accomplish anything, and this
breakthrough may yet be lost forever.