Terry Blanton <hohlr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Most processes do not scale linearly and offer new engineering
> challenges at certain cusps.  A good example could be the nanopowder
> core of the reactor.

This is the kind of thing that may cause problems in a scale-up. But I think
the plan is to make many small reactor cores, about the size of the present
demo unit: ~1 L. People here have reported it will have ~120 units ganged
together. (Was it 120? Did that info come from Rossi's blog?)

I do not think they ever intend to make a single large core, along the lines
of a Tokamak reactor.

Nowadays, it is not difficult to manufacture thousands or even millions of
identical objects. A megawatt scale cold fusion reactor might be made of an
array of small cells, perhaps as small as AAA batteries. That would be a lot
smaller than Rossi's present cell. Each might be self-contained, perhaps
with all of them a bath of pressurized cooling water. This is similar to the
way a uranium reactor core has rods filled with fuel pellets each 1.7 cm
long.