At 03:50 PM 2/21/2011, mix...@bigpond.com wrote:
Hi,
[snip]
>But the result that is known is
>that helium is produced, and the observed energy
>supports the conclusion that the primary fuel is
>deuterium. "unknown nuclear reaction" would bring
>us full circle. That is what Pons and Fleischmann
>actually claimed, not "fusion.")
[snip]
Even hot fusion operates on tunneling rather than overcoming the Coulomb barrier
by brute force. (The latter would require about 30 MeV).

I think 30 MeV is vastly overstated. But, regardless, the "Coulomb barrier" is really a probability of fusion, which varies with incident energy. At room temperature, forgeddabout it. But this is not relevant to what was quoted from me.