At 11:27 AM 4/19/2011, Jones Beene wrote:
Stephen

To answer the first problem - I believe that the specific heat goes up as the temperature rises, and is a higher the closer you get to m.p.

Ø   130 KW for 15 minutes is actually 32.5 KWh.

Only if that heat suddenly comes to a dead stop and you average over the hour ! Not likely - I corrected the post to say if the rate of heating continues for a full hour, it could melt over a ton of steel, but that is not the point.

Somehow the reported facts got lost in this massive thread, which I've not been following. So I searched for "130 KW." I found the first message here was Jed's, and that "power peaked briefly" at 130 kW.

I am commonly irritated by people who discuss and confuse power and energy in CF discussions. "Briefly" -- with 130 KW -- could be seconds. The power would have been detected by a rise in coolant temperature.

The discussions comparing what the Rossi cell is allegedly generating, and a nuclear reaction, as to heat transfer, are highly misleading. Heat transfer is limited by surface area, but the "surface area" for a Rossi cell might be very high. You cannot judge it by the gross volume. What if the cell is constructed with many channels?

Really, the heat transfer will be limited by the flow of the coolant, as long as the heat generator is well-designed.

I really don't care to put a lot of energy into figuring out whether the Rossi cells are real or fake, because I'm assuming that in a few months, we will have much more evidence. I merely noted, some time ago, that there is no short-term limit to a sophisticated fraud, because "fraud" is undefined, it could be anything, and impossibility arguments based on "anything" are rididulous. What rules out "anything" is independent replication and study.

But what would 130 kW do to the coolant water? 130 kW-h is 112,000 kcal, so the heat generation rate would be 31 kcal/sec. What flow rate is possible? Looking about, I see that a liter per second through water mains might be possible. I haven't looked to see what flow rate was actually used, I just saw mention that it was high. At a liter per second, the temperature rise of the water would be 31 degrees C.

The coolant water would not boil. The reports I skimmed on the Rossi reactor with the peak power of 130 kWh supposedly had a 5 degree temperature rise in the coolant flow. If the coolant were flowing at a liter per second, this would be a steady power of 21 kW for the duration.

The error made in Beene's analysis -- if I misunderstood it, by all means, correct me -- is in assuming that the heat transfer to the coolant would be limited to some specific value. There is, however, little limit to the surface area available for transfer, only a naive assumption that the "heating element" is a solid, say a cylinder, would lead to that limited assessment.

I don't know the temperature of Rothwell's brain, but it's probably somewhere near 37 degrees (C), not quite freezing, eh? Beene's brain, from the subject header, might be hotter. Jones, may I respectfully suggest that you get off it? You might think more clearly.

Turning to the idea that the coolant is actually fuel, that's a clever suggestion, and it might work, but a tad difficult to arrange. Some fuel, supplied at a liter per second, could certainly generate more than enough energy. Again, we are faced with an "unknown." It is impossible to disprove an unknown, that was the error that the physics community made in 1989 with cold fusion. But when the reactor is studied by others, when it can be dismantled, etc., that's when we can find certainty. Rossi has a perfectly good excuse for keeping it mostly secret for now, courtesy of the idiocy of the U.S. Patent Office, and others.

(By the way, they were correct to deny Rossi's patent -- has that happened yet? -- because it did not adequately disclose what would be needed for someone else "skilled in the art" to build the thing. Since I find it not useful to assume stupidity, I conclude that Rossi did not intend to get that patent, that it was a political or publicity move, which is quite consistent with what we know about Rossi, as an engineer and businessman, not a "scientist." The skeptics are running the usual mouth flapping about scientific journals, peer-review, and they are right, but off-base. The Rossi cell is not a "scientific discovery." Not yet. We have some reports, that's all. It is what it is. Yes, it's interesting.)